Questions getting Contractor rental rehab quote and contingencies

3 Replies

Hey everyone,

I'm finally starting to look at properties after doing reading but still felt i lacked some contractor knowledge while considering a property I think looked really good.

So I seem to be reading that you get a contract, then during the inspection contingency period, you get an inspection, then have a contractor follow to get a quote.  My question is should you include the contractor into the contingency?  I am not good yet at estimating rehab costs and am afraid of getting into a contract with the seller and then the contractor bid is more than i want to go through with.  And should i get other multiple bids after the house deal is closed or before? 

Also I read that a comparative market analysis will apply with houses for similar level of finish.  Will the contractor know what level of finish needs to be done or will i have to know?  And will their bid be trustworthy? I know surprises come up and I think I read 5-10% should be added on, but will a contractor's bid ever be a complete misleading lie and they ask something completely different after? Or is there protection from that?

Thanks all

you seem to be in a similar situation I'm in. what I did was take pictures and video of the place on my initial walk through, sent that to a GC and had him give me a "conservative ballpark" estimate. that way I knew what my offer had to be. asking price 90k ARV 180-190K Rehab est from GC 52k Rehab est in my #'s 67k max offer 67k starting offer 60k Ill be making the offer this week so we'll see how it goes. if I can get the contract then I'll have inspection, and 2 to 3 full bids done by GC'S to solidify numbers. if the GC are worth their salt then those bids should be accurate. if the numbers don't work at that point then back out using home inspection contingency (if possible) or finance contingency, or if you have it in the contact a "approval of buyer" contingency. or just eat the earnest money deposit loss. good luck.

A contingency is your get-out-of-contract card.

As such be sure to include it in every contract unless you think you it is a slam dunk for a win.

As a Realtor, I have never written a contract without it. You can make it whatever you want and it is nothing more than an if...then statement. I have never seen a pro-flipper not use one - yet many write contracts on property sight un-seen. They can do that because of contingencies. Some are generally accepted though I have written some that seem outlandish. All that matters is that both sides agree and everything is negotiable.

You should know comps of ballpark ARV and allowable expense (to make the deal work for you) before you put an offer on. It makes no sense to think there is $25k room for repairs only to get a couple of verbal ballparks that need $40k. It won't work. Basically it always comes down to this simple truth:

You win by buying according to your exit strategy. 

Want to know what to repair? Visit other homes on area to get a feel and review comps. Get a Realtor for that. Also, don't over-fix or upgrade, you won't get you money back out. 

Contractors will do what you tell them to do though the level of fixes that you want may be different than what contractor is used too. I have seen this come up a lot. 

(With my contractor and I, it took us a few discussions to identify what vs. how much to fix. I kept focusing on price and I wanted certain upgrades with reason though realized that what I wanted was not feasible...he gave me alternatives that worked.)

I then walk a property, feel it, smell it. Buy a contractor lunch to go with you for his/her time and ask for a verbal ballpark. 

I have a contractor friend that can ballpark to within a few thousand (I have tested his numbers-they are solid).

Make offer, perform due diligence regarding contingencies, enact contingencies if needed, or move forward.

I also never lose earnest money if I back out of a deal.

Essentially, all homes are as-is based on price you are willing to pay and a contingency helps you when you get a better idea of what you are buying. If it is not a reasonable win for you based on your goals, why wouldn't you back out?

wow thanks so much guys! Ill def use this to learn from. Just gotta get  contractors 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.