Tips on Finding a Lender for First Time Buyer: Out of State

6 Replies

I live in California, but the housing prices and new tax laws are prompting me to invest out-of-state. As a first time buyer with a modest income and very good credit score, I am considering an FHA loan.

I have spoken to two lenders in California, and they both advised me that an owner-occupied property would be my best approach based on my income. Ideally, I would love to buy an out of state investment property and continue living in California, but I am open to living out of state for a year or two to satisfy the FHA's required one-year occupancy rule. If I do live out of state, the lender wants to see that I have a job in the new state. This is my catch 22.

Considering my situation, can anyone advise me on how to successfully find a lender for a property out of state, either FHA or other.

If you want to continue to live in CA but invest out of state your best bet is a typical residential loan, which will be 15-25 percent down and 4.5-5ish interest rate, amortized over 30 years.

This is what I’ve done and so far it’s worked out well. I don’t live in CA but I live in an expensive market (compared to the central part of the country) and my dollar goes further out of state.

This post has been removed.

@David Ruiz , I am in your currently standing in your shoes. Please update me with what you find. I am gathering as much information about this as well. If I hear anything from my end, I will update you! 

@David Ruiz, right there with you on this one. I can't move out of state yet; job and girlfriend keeping me here. Which messes up my ability to use FHA too.

I did want to mention that one of the more recent podcasts had David Greene on it. He's published a book on long-distance investing. Here's the podcast link:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/biggerpoc...

The book's on my reading list for 2018. I expect it would help both of us. Best of luck.

@chris williams , I have listened to the David Greene podcast. Inspiring, but still need to figure out the best lending approach for myself. Thanks for your reply, and good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.