Transfer Rental Property to LLC?

3 Replies

Hello everyone. I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I apologize. I just purchased my first rental property on Dec. 29th. In order to do this, I took out a HELOC on my primary residence. My plan is to apply the BRRRR strategy and re-fi the rental property in 6 months after repairs are done and a tenant is secured. Here's my question: should I transfer the title of the property to my LLC? I purchased an LLC a few months ago but the title for the rental is currently in my and my husband's name basically because I wasn't sure if it was necessary or what I should be doing (haha, as I said, I'm a first-time investor). Would it make sense to just leave in our names and not the LLC? Would there be any consequences during the re-finance process if it is under the LLC and not our names? Thanks!

Hi Laura,

I think that you would have to take the property out of the LLC to refinance it, so that is something you may want to research with your lender before making a decision. Or find a lender that will do a cash out refi to an LLC, though from what I've seen from others here, it seems to be difficult to do so.

Cash out re-fi on an LLC held property? As @Bob Okenwa mentioned, you'd have to find a bank willing to do that. At the very least if you do find one you'll have to personally guarantee the loan I'd bet. If you have a relationship with a local bank or credit union they may be willing to do a portfolio loan where they hold the note rather than sell it to another institution.

It IS possible though, we do it, but our relationship is with a local bank and we have several LLC owned properties under a portfolio loan.

However I'd recommend you find and talk to a couple local bankers before transferring anything, see what they say. Your best bet would be to ask for a commercial lending officer but be aware, unless they REALLY like you the LTV is probably going to be something like 70% max.

Thanks for the info! I will probably keep it in my name until I refinance it then.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.