Newbie to wholesaling

4 Replies

Hi I’m looking to get into wholesaling I’m in PA I’m willing to travel the tri-State. In need of a mentor someone I can shadow under. Or any close by local REIA will be appreciated. My goal is to become an RE full time, landlord created a really good portfolio. But unfortunately I’m limited on funds so I figure to start off in wholesale to make funds and invest my profits into my first property

Hey @Taryn Lewis pm me so we can talk some more, I'm in a similar situation and we can share some ideas on what you do and what I do! By the way, I'm from New York!

thanks for reaching out to me I will be in touch with you soon

Originally posted by @Taryn Lewis :
Hi I’m looking to get into wholesaling I’m in PA I’m willing to travel the tri-State. In need of a mentor someone I can shadow under. Or any close by local REIA will be appreciated. My goal is to become an RE full time, landlord created a really good portfolio. But unfortunately I’m limited on funds so I figure to start off in wholesale to make funds and invest my profits into my first property

Wholesaling is very hard and very expensive. I spent many thousands of dollars in mailers and months of rejection to make $10k on a deal. And I was already a relatively experienced investor and knew my market very well. Also, if you don't narrow your focus to one or two neighborhoods, how can you make offers on houses if you don't know a market? It requires all the skills an experienced investor has and many others like marketing, people skills, negotiating, market knowledge, etc. 

Do you have your realtor license? That's where I'd start. I see you posted about house hacking in another post and I responded to that one as well; if you don't own a house, especially a multifamily that you're living in, that's also where I'd start. 

I know all the people preaching wholesaling make it sound easy and glamorous, but it's neither. Focus on one thing and get it done then move to the next. Get your RE license or get a MFH then move on from there. Walk before you run. Most people pushing wholesaling are selling something; mailing lists, guru-ships, marketing services, websites, etc. 

Troy S.

thanks for the advice and you are right the more I go deeper into wholesaling the lees easy it seems and honestly I’m just looking for a way to get my feet in the door of re so I figured wholesale was the way to go since that’s like a big trend now I just want to make it in re a be financially free. I want to be able to quit my job and have more time for my children and I know it’s not going to be easy I’m prepared for that. But I’m willing to do what it takes to get there. Your right I need to find one thing to focus on and stick to that and once that’s done move to the next task. And that’s one of my biggest problems I always put too much in my plate 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.