Repeat Loan Pre-Approvals when House Hunting?

1 Reply

Hello!

I found a real estate agent and am on the hunt for our second investment property. Yay!

I am starting to look for local lenders (hoping to use a conventional loan) and would like to get pre-approved for a loan. If I understand correctly, loan pre-approvals last for 60 days. I know that in this market, digging must be done to find a cash flowing property, so it could take months to find one. But I want to be ready to act quickly when I do find the right property.

Even if you understand that you may not find the right property for many months, do you still get pre-approved for a loan? And then once those 60 days are up, then what? Get re-pre-approved? I know that your credit doesn't take a huge hit when the bank checks your credit, but I would imagine that repeat checks every 60 days are not ideal.

How should I manage this issue?

Well when making offers a pre-approval letter does help, but it is not always necessary.  I know that repeat credit inquiries do hurt your score, even "soft" pings hurt it.  Try to find a lender that will give you the pre-qual again later without hitting your credit.  They can put whatever limitations they want in the pre-qual anyway, so they will inquire again once you get an accepted offer.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.