Tenants don’t speak Englis

4 Replies

My Potential tenants do not speak English the contract that I am going to have them sign is going to be in English should I consider in hiring a translator or try to get a contract in Spanish and if so how do i get one in Spanish? Thank you

@Gabriel Benavidez Try to see if they have kids or a family member who speaks English. If they do, you can have them present when you go over the contract. Good luck! 

@Gabriel Benavidez I agree with @Rachel H. I am a volunteer FF in my spare time and we have calls that we have to get info like asap. Usually the kids know pretty good English. If you live in Texas its also a good idea to learn Spanish. MIT has FREE open course software that can teach you pretty much anything for free. You wont get college credit for it but they have  a really good conversational Spanish course. It teaches you Central America, South America and Spain dialects. Thats why I like it best. 

When I did PM, there was a Chinese restaurant in one of our buildings.  The owner spoke very little english.  When it came lease renewal time, he brought his brother who spoke english very well.  I'm no expert, but I think it would be more their responsibility to bring someone who can translate for them.  They may just assume it's a "basic" lease (and maybe it is) and not be too concerned, so in that case it might be worth it for you to spend a few dollars and have someone come in and translate for them.  Good luck!

@Gabriel Benavidez   You might also want to check if the form you are using has a Spanish version.  Lots of standard real estate forms come in English and Spanish.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here