Selling Sf Bay Area Residence to buy Multifamily?

1 Reply

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum and have been slowing reading the content here on BP. I want to get involved in real estate but the question I bring to you today is about my parents' situation. They own two homes, one in a beach town in LA that's being rented and one in the bay area. The bay area home was purchased for around 700k and now could be sold for 1.3-1.5million since real estate here is so hot. They are nearing retirement age and don't really have a need for a home so large. I'm thinking of convincing them that since the house may never be worth as much as it is now they should sell it and buy a multifamily property in the bay and live in one of the units. This way they have their living situation sorted and would actually be making a steady income.

I'm thinking they could easily buy a multifamily property in the 2-3million range. I know I may come across as a complete ignoramus but I just want to know if this is a half-decent idea or not an advisable "retirement" strategy

It sounds to me like a good option to reduce their expenses and get some extra income. I like it

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here