HELOC/HEL - Buying a property

2 Replies

Hi all! Sorry for the long introduction, but here it goes:

I have been on BP for a while now, but mostly just reading posts, checking the sale ads and listening to podcasts. I am looking to get into rental properties (buy and hold). My wife and I own a home that's probably a bit big to be considered a "starter home", but with the birth of our son in December and hopefully future children, we are starting to see that this house may not suit our wants/needs. My wife is on board with getting in to rental properties, more as a step toward financial freedom/additional stream of income. I am reading a lot about HELOCs and Home Equity Loans and how I might be able to get equity out to fund a rental property, but I have a question regarding our current, primary residence.

Question -  We have a mortgage on our current home and would like to know the best way to mine equity out of the house to fund our next principal residence? The plan would be to keep our current home and rent it out (great schools and these houses are renting for $2,200 to 2,500/mo). Assuming cash flow would not be an issue based on our current incomes, what would you suggest we do? Thanks in advance!

Depends on how much equity you have in your current primary residence. 

Your best bet would probably be a cash-out refinance. Based on the current lending environment, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a 30 year fixed loan and lock in today's interest rates. 

@Thomas Castelli Thank you for this information. This is not something we would be doing this year. We have been in the house 3 years, so we do not have a ton of equity. I am trying to learn as much as possible about this amazing investment tool called real estate. We were able to get a 30-year fixed rate at 3.59%, so if we were to refinance, I do not think we would be able to get that rate in today's market. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.