Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jon Wimmer
  • Skiatook, OK
Votes |
To-be investor looking for starting out advice

Jon Wimmer
  • Skiatook, OK
Posted Feb 5 2018, 15:28

Hey BP!

My name is Jon and I have been lurking around the site for about half a year now. I got interested in investing in general after basically googling "how do people get rich" I think haha. That led me to real estate investing and then listening to the BiggerPockets podcast while working all last summer. I have attended two meetups hosted by Deren Huang here in Tulsa and really enjoy meeting and listening to locals stories! My main goal right now is to achieve early financial freedom. I will start this by doing househacking in either a single family with friends or a small multi.

Here is where I have a question, right now I am in my final semester to receive my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from Oklahoma State University. I will graduate without any student debt or any other debt for that matter. I would also like to mention that I am a frugal person; enjoying Set For Life by Scott Trench so far. What I want to know is if I should be looking to move somewhere like Texas where my income will not be taxed; plus engineers seem to make more in Texas generally. I am not sure if Texas is a good idea because of the high property tax. I do not know the Tulsa Oklahoma all to well anyhow so there seems to be little reason for me to spend time learning this market if I can begin learning others now.

Loading replies...