Books or the Podcast?

7 Replies

For us new guys, what would have the better ROI: Listening to the BP Podcast episodes or listening to the BP (and other RE) audio books?

If I were you I would do both. That's what I did. They compliment each other. 

The podcasts are interesting because they cover a wide range of topics and strategies.

You can't go wrong with either.   The podcasts are nice because you get to hear and learn from guys and gals who are out in the field killing it every day in Real Estate.  I listen to them daily while driving to properties or while working on a rehab.  They help keep me motivated when the grind starts getting rough.

The books are also nice if you're looking to build a foundation of knowledge which may help you follow conversations in the podcast. 

Good luck!

I've been working my way through all the podcasts and just read "The Book on Rental Property Investing." I would definitely keep up with the podcasts as I get something of value from most episodes. That being said, the book is definitely a more time efficient method to learn the basics. If I had to choose just one at this point (just starting) I would go with the books first, and podcasts afterward.

If you listen to the podcasts there is a recurring theme of reading great books.  A lot of the experts recommend:

Rich dad poor dad 

the E myth

I am new to this as well and have found so many nuggets in the podcasts.  Even if the subject is something I could never see myself doing (wholesaleing) there is at least a couple of great ideas i hadn't thought about. 

I agree with Brian. The podcast are best to listen to after you read a book or two to get basics down first. The podcasts are more specific in topic than books and when you first start out you want more of a broad overview so you can decide what you want to look more into.

I personally think a third option- read or listen to any of the BP things (none of them can hurt, certainly), but I think everyone should add a non-BP option. Whether that's reading a published author's books or non-BP real estate podcasts or going to seminars. BP is great, but I don't think it should be the sole source for anyone. There was a whole world of real estate investing info out there long before BP, and I think sometimes it's really valuable to go back to some of the basics for info.

Just my opinion!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here