Devon Moore
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Advice For Partnering With A Maintenance Person

Devon Moore
  • Boston, MA
Posted Feb 14 2018, 12:05

Hello!

I am planning to purchase my first multi-family property.  I have a background in accounting and my strengths are more on the business/ organization side of investing.  I do not have experience with maintenance or DIY projects.  There is someone I know who is older, has a lot of experience with maintenance and has owned multifamily properties in the past.  

I would want his help with my first property, but I am considering how to approach this.  My two options I thought of was to ask him to handle the maintenance of the property and I could pay him like a property manager, or ask him to partner with me.  I feel paying him like a property manager would not be worth it to him, especially since all I would need him to do is maintenance and do some updating. 

If I ask him to partner he would handle the maintenance and renovation, but I would want to control the everything else.  Has anyone partnered with anybody like this?  Do you do joint tenancy? Would you split the ownership 50/50? How would you determine the earnings split?

Any insight is appreciated.  I know I asked a lot here.

-Devon

Loading replies...