How to pay back an investor

3 Replies

If I have someone that invests let’s say 50k, into my deal, what arrangements can be made to pay him back? I read and hear how good this to have this done but have not heard anyone explain how the investor is paid back. I am totally clueless. Thanks, Chuck

@Chuck Rhodus A little unclear as to if they are functioning as an HML or an equity partner...

If it's a loan, you can do a promissory contract and spell out the terms. If an equity investor, you can make them LP in a LLC and you the GP. If it's a small deal, you can probably just do a contract.

Paul Choi

Originally posted by @Chuck Rhodus :
    If I have someone that invests let’s say 50k, into my deal, what arrangements can be made to pay him back? I read and hear how good this to have this done but have not heard anyone explain how the investor is paid back. I am totally clueless. Thanks, Chuck

You split the profits 50/50. I use a master Joint Venture agreement that outlines the arrangement. I have a second agreement that specifies the property and is used when the investment property is located. In my case, I have 51% ownership so management decisions can be made and give 50% profits to partner. We specify the exit strategy, what happens if one person wants to exit the agreement and how long we hold the property. I am the management investor and the other is the capital investor. On $50k investment the capital investor makes about $180,000 profit on a 10 year return with paid quarterly cash flow of about $500 per month, so about $1500 paid quarterly and plus an up front payment return of $12k at time of sale to new tenant buyer with a back end of about $12k when tenant buyer refinances. The key is in finding the correct properties. I have several properties currently looking for investors. It really isn't that difficult. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.