Quantico area for investing

6 Replies

First off, thanks for being interested enough to start reading my post. I am currently overseas (active-duty Marine) looking to be back to CONUS in less than 3 months to get station in Quantico. I was hoping I can get some good advice on locations and places good for buying my first property with the intention of house hack. I am single without kids or any debt so I am looking to put my 100% off duty time for a second property and any good partnerships. Any advice is always welcome! 

Hey Luis-

First off, thank you for your service.

Second, I am very familiar with the Quantico area. Unfortunately, that area (as well as Northern Virginia in general) does not have a lot (if any) multi-family properties. I know several investors in the area that have bought a single-family property and rent out bedrooms,. Although be sure to check for restrictions on that because every neighborhood and HOA is different.

A few places to consider are Woodbridge and Stafford and even Fredericksburg. Beyond that, you'll have a long commute to Quantico- although there may be more multi-family properties available as you move toward central Virginia. 

Originally posted by @Jessica Frasier :

Hey Luis-

First off, thank you for your service.

Second, I am very familiar with the Quantico area. Unfortunately, that area (as well as Northern Virginia in general) does not have a lot (if any) multi-family properties. I know several investors in the area that have bought a single-family property and rent out bedrooms,. Although be sure to check for restrictions on that because every neighborhood and HOA is different.

A few places to consider are Woodbridge and Stafford and even Fredericksburg. Beyond that, you'll have a long commute to Quantico- although there may be more multi-family properties available as you move toward central Virginia. 

Thanks for your advice! Definitely looking into Woodbridge and Stafford as preferred options when buying. Heard good things about both but still dont know which route is best to get to Quantico in the morning and back in the evenings. Anyway, as long I find a good deal I am willing to sacrifice some commute time (no more than 30min). 

Hi Luis!  I literally just came across a duplex in Quantico on Redfin two days ago.  It will not work for us, but maybe for you!... Not sure if it is in your price range, but take a look :) 

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Quantico/273-4th-Ave-22134/home/9174785

Originally posted by @Nicole Blewett :

Hi Luis!  I literally just came across a duplex in Quantico on Redfin two days ago.  It will not work for us, but maybe for you!... Not sure if it is in your price range, but take a look :) 

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Quantico/273-4th-Ave-22134/home/9174785

Wao thanks! That looks a great opportunity that either is not going to last too long, or sounds too good and may be hard to rent. Do you know of anyone that likes or rent so close to base? 

Anything within NOVA rents just fine. Traffic is a PITA tho, one of the top in the Nation... Problem is that's not really a great of a deal @Luis A. Escudero Burgos . Q Town is on base, right on base. It's a 1BR per unit... According to rentometer, rents are right at the 1k mark per month in Q town, which is about right IMO for the region. I'm in Fredericksburg, and have hundreds of properties all over NOVA. So in theory if you rented both units, you would look at 2k a month in rents, times x100, that's $200,000... which is the absolute most I would way for a property to rent out with those rents. It's on the market because it's not a deal. NOVA is a hot market, lots of competition. As Jessica pointed out, good multi-family deals are hard to come by, people overpay because they get sick of looking and just want to make a deal. Take the time to hunt for a great deal, and you wont regret it!

@Luis A. Escudero Burgos Thank you for your service!  Quantico is located in Prince William County but it's right on the border of Stafford County.  Most that work at Quantico tend to live in PWC or Stafford.  You get more "bang for your buck" in Stafford for sure.  As Jessica mentioned, there isn't much in terms of multi family in the area - but there are some decent options in Quantico.  There are currently 2 multi families on the market in Quantico that are pretty nice but still a little over priced in my opinion.  It's one of the few areas in the County that does have multifamily homes.  You can also find a nice large single family home and rent out the rooms.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here