Ways to determine neighborhood class, remotely

7 Replies

I asked this question in a separate post, but figured that would be not relevant to the original question, hence reposting here - 

What are some of the methods to determine a neighborhood class (A, B, etc)? Especially for someone trying to invest out of state? Are there any good tools that would help? 

Your trying to get a grasp of an idea, down to the blocks level in some cases. That can be hard things to do.

1. Google maps at street level just to get a visual.

2. Ask locals, BP is a good spot for that.

3. Use a service or app that gives you detailed data on a property, area, schools, etc.

4. Buy a plain ticket. Never buy property without going by. A few hundred for a flight is a lot better than losing tens of thousands.

@Harsh Patel something I like to do is go to the tax accessors website and look at the owners of propeties near mine. If you’re seeing a lot of LLCs or other entities those are rentals, same with distant owners.

From there if it’s mostly LLCs and distant owners you know it’s likely a C neighborhood. If it’s 50-66 percent or so of both that’s B, and if it’s almost all owner occupied that’s likely A.

Also look at school ratings, and trucks crime map.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.