New Investor in DC: Buy First or Rent

4 Replies

Hello All,

I am currently a graduate student who is moving to DC (from Central Virginia) in June/July. I would like to buy a row home to house hack. I've been doing extensive research on up and coming areas in DC: Trinidad, Deanwood, and Anacostia in particular. This research includes speaking with realtors and locals, reading reports, and identifying commercial development in these areas. 

I've had conflicting advice as to buy a house right away or rent an apartment for 6 months-1 year before buying. I personally favor buying first because I can't see myself paying someone's mortgage when I can pay little to nothing to live in a home I own. I would use this home as a start at building my portfolio in this area. 

I would love to hear other people's take on buying a house first in DC or waiting until I'm more acclimated with the area. 

Thank You,

Candice 

Well rent in DC can be really expensive. But it might be hard to gage where you feel comfortable living until you are here.

House hacking in Deanwood or Anacostia might be hard as renting rooms in those areas will have weak demand. Trinidad you can absolutely do it, but the price point is higher. You might also consider Ft Totten, Riggs Park and Brighwood as options with cheaper price points than Trinidad with similar upsides.

Russell Brazil, Real Estate Agent in Maryland (#648402), Virginia (#0225219736), District of Columbia (#SP98375353), and Massachusetts (#9​0​5​2​3​4​6)
(301) 893-4635

2 things come up when I read this, finding multi-units and lease-to-own options.

1. Multi-units

- Purchasing the property to live in one unit, rent out the others.

2. Lease-To-Own options where you put a down payment to rent the property for a desired time to eventually qualify and take over the loan.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.