Keeping track of all the information you take in

Keeping track of all the information you take in

Castro Valley, CA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Hey All,

I just started a few months ago and have been steadily taking in the wealth of information available here on BP. One thing that became very clear as I progressed was the way I had been storing information weren't robust enough. I used to create Google calendar events for action items or a spreadsheet to track research, but I started getting buried by the sheer amount of the information.

We use a task tracking software called JIRA at work so I decided to give it a try to track all the REI knowledge I was gaining. So far, it's been working pretty well and some of the features I've really appreciated are the custom workflows, ability to prioritize tasks, and ways to link tasks. I still create spreadsheets elsewhere, but I'll track the existence of the spreadsheet in the software as a task so I can go to one place to know what I have. Since I mainly chose JIRA because I was already familiar with it, I didn't really explore alternatives.

How do you all keep track of your information, and how has it been working for you?

0Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    8y

    @Raymond Wai What investing strategies are you focusing on?

  • Investor · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 673 votes
    8y

    @Raymond Wai . As you can imagine, there is so much information out there, you don't want to replicate the same information into a JIRA system. I think what you want to do is be able search existing repositories (like biggerpockets.com, google, ... etc) to quickly find things you need. So, in term of already existing information, you don't want to re-invent the wheel. 

    In terms of how you organize your own tasks and progress, you should just use what's most comfortable for you. However, you should not let the process get in the way of the progress. If you have active deals going, then the actions will come on their own. i.e.: If you need to close, your agent/attorney will let you know what to do. If you don't have any deals and are still just gathering information, I would suggest you fast track your progress to get to the point of actually submitting an offer. Things will progress from there on their own.

    Good luck. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.