Buying investment property out of state

5 Replies

Hi, I'm in Chicago. I have very little equity, roughly 3k. My goal is to buy a single family home in Arizona and rent it out. Does anyone have any advice, a sort of “do’s and don’ts” of buying property out of state? Is Arizona even a good state to buy investment property?

Hi @Agbolade Adesoye ,

Good job on making the decision to invest, but the timing isn't right just yet.

If you're wanting to invest your own funds, continue savings cash until you have more like $25,000 available to go towards that rental house.

If you're wanting to invest other people's money, find wholesale deals in Arizona and apply the BRRRR method . That will enable you to acquire the property, improve it, refinance (pay off loans), and then keep that property.

Originally posted by @Nathan Platter :

Hi @Agbolade Adesoye ,

Thanks Nathan! How would you recommend finding good wholesale deals?

There are multiple ways to find wholesale deals, but they always come back to building relationships. Whether you find the deal directly from the current owner or from another wholesaler, real estate is about being good with people.

As for the specifics about finding deals, the Wholesaling section of Bigger Pockets can provide far more resources than I can in this one post.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.