Realtor bring tenants to you.

1 Reply

Hello Bigger pockets,

I have a realtor that has presented me with some potential tenants for my property. They are asking for the 1st month's rent as compensation. I've never heard of anyone using a realtor to find a home for rent to be honest, but I was wondering is this a scam and if not is the 1st months rent an expected finders' fee? 

@Ralph Torres - I believe this practice is a lot more common in large markets (NYC, SF, London, etc.) and the fee of 1st month's rent sounds correct as well.  It is likely not a scam as you should get a signed lease, first month's rent and a deposit before paying the realtor anything.

That being said, we've never had a realtor reach out to us on property in our markets and would not pay fees for one if they did reach out.  Our cost to least up a unit is significantly lower than 1 month rent and we do not have issues finding qualified tenants.

If you don't need the leads, then it's probably not worth it.  If you're having a hard time getting a unit rented then you may want to pay up upon successful execution of a lease.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here