Realtor bring tenants to you.

1 Reply

Hello Bigger pockets,

I have a realtor that has presented me with some potential tenants for my property. They are asking for the 1st month's rent as compensation. I've never heard of anyone using a realtor to find a home for rent to be honest, but I was wondering is this a scam and if not is the 1st months rent an expected finders' fee? 

@Ralph Torres - I believe this practice is a lot more common in large markets (NYC, SF, London, etc.) and the fee of 1st month's rent sounds correct as well.  It is likely not a scam as you should get a signed lease, first month's rent and a deposit before paying the realtor anything.

That being said, we've never had a realtor reach out to us on property in our markets and would not pay fees for one if they did reach out.  Our cost to least up a unit is significantly lower than 1 month rent and we do not have issues finding qualified tenants.

If you don't need the leads, then it's probably not worth it.  If you're having a hard time getting a unit rented then you may want to pay up upon successful execution of a lease.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.