Team Work Makes The Dream Work

6 Replies

When starting out how important is it to build a team ? Do you think a person can go it alone in this industry and survive ? Well I think it is super important to surround yourself with a team of people that have the same goals and aspirations . I believe it helps everyone stay accountable . Also everyone has their strengths  and weakness and we are only as strong as our weakest link . 

Tell me what you think , I'd love to hear from you .

@Kelli Washington , the popular train of thought among new investors is that you have to build this all star team before you can get started. The reality is that this is a crutch people use to never get started. You build your team as you go. Add, keep, subtract? Who do I still need for my "team", who is working good that I want to keep, and who is not working out that I need to shed. The most important thing is to take what you have and get started. Build the team you described for the reasons you described over time.

Although we choose to refer to them as a team, probably out of respect, the reality they are a tool. They serve a specific purpose to perform a necessary job function. You pick and choose, change as necessary and use them to your advantage. You hold on to quality tools.

A good high quality tool will perform a job much easier/better than a inexpensive dull tool.

Remember they are only there for the money.

Makes complete since to me Edward B.  I was definitely stuck in that mode of building a team before i get started so thank you so much for the insight . 

Thomas S. I think i understand where you are going with thinking of the team as a tool . I would like to think of it in a since of taking out the emotion and understanding that everyone plays a role to achieve the end goal .

@Kelli Washington You definitely need a good team to be successful in this business (or any other!). The hard part is finding good, reliable people and keeping them on a consistent basis. After over a decade of investing in real estate, I've learned team players are constantly changing. Circumstances change. Life happens. Not everyone is available when I need them. So I have to always be on the lookout and add new members to my team. Have written extensively on this topic especially when it comes to hiring contractors! 

@Rachel H. This is why I love this forum. There is such a wealth of information and for someone like myself just starting out it is extremely valuable to have people such as yourself willing to share some knowledge based on experience. Thank you so much for the information. I'll certainly keep this in mind.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here