Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jacob LePretre
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Seeking Guidence/Advice For An Early Starting Point

Jacob LePretre
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Mar 22 2018, 07:27

Hey guys, hope I’m in the right place here or that this kind of stuff is allowed. New to the forums.

So good morning. I’m new here and new to the real estate game, actually I haven't even scratched the surface yet. I’ve looked up info in the past few weeks and read until thankfully I discovered BP, which i will say is a great help. The Beginners Guide I’d strongly recommend but if you’re here you probably already know that.

I am looking for a little help here, some guidance as I have roughly 4-5 months before I start anything besides learning and saving.

Here’s the background.

I am 22, 23 in June. Born and raised in Chicago.

I am in debt, about 70K from college, otherwise no car, no credit card or any other debt. I have a good credit score, don’t know exactly what it’s at but I’ve never missed a payment when I used cards.

I currently am at an insurance company working for the marketing team as a content writer.

But I go and work for underprivileged kids in the summer, pay isn't much but I don’t do it for the pay. I should be able to save about 2K because my cost of living is essentially zero there. And the same goes for while I am at home, I plan to live with my parents for however long after camp.

So now I was looking into the FHA loans and the 3.5% down payment is something I could be able to do. I would like to do it in the Chicago area (more-so the Southside where I'm from) or else the surrounding suburbs.

I am in the process of currently refinancing my student loans to lower the interest rate.

I spent two summers painting houses and apartments and gutting houses so I am experienced and confident in that aspect, I believe that myself (maybe along with some friends) can do everything that a rehab would need but some in depth electric work.

I like to write (which is why I took this job as a content writer), I suppose my end game would be writing my stories and owning property to rent, starting with the FHA loan, living there for the year and moving on from there. Looking more for a duplex to start.

My cost of living is essential zero because I have two loving parents who let me live at home and eat for free.. I help where I can though, not just a freeloader lol.

I guess my question for everyone or anyone willing to offer it is just where to start? Or what advice anyone can offer me with five months to prepare? Like I said, new to BP but I’ve been reading and taking notes.

I plan on getting some books on real estate for the summer as well.

How can I work with 70K in student loan debt to make anything work? How can I go about successfully getting the FHA loan and making a profit on the apartment?

Any article links or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Loading replies...