Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Cheri Markt
  • Mountain View, CA
Votes |
Self Directed IRAs, Buying REOs, Renting in College Town- Books?

Cheri Markt
  • Mountain View, CA
Posted Mar 22 2018, 22:45

I am a new investor currently absorbing as much info as possible to start out on the right foot.  Can you recommend books (or other sources of info) to learn more about:

- Self Directed IRAs: Pros/Cons, how the process works?

- REOs: I have found bank sites listing properties.  Are there real estate agents who specialize in this area or do I prepare my own offer?  How is the financing unique?  How do I learn about this option?

- Renting next to a college/ university: are there special considerations?  extra wear and tear, summer vacancies and other considerations?  How does renting a single family home room by room compare to a duplex or 4 plex?

- Last one... I was told at a local networking event that the average equity held in real estate nationally is at 50% and most home owners have low mortgage rates at around 3%.  Therefore in the next economic downturn we will not see a large foreclosure rate like we did last time, and the real estate investments are more secure now.  What is a name for this so I can research this topic more as well to verify/ validate these ideas?

If you have read helpful books on any of these topics, let me know!  

Loading replies...