Should I start my LLC in CA or AZ?

3 Replies

This topic has been locked by an administrator.

I am an Arizona Resident starting an LLC. I will be doing the majority of my business in CA. What are the tax pitfalls and should I start my LLC in AZ or CA?

For my business I create my LLCs in Wyoming and NV as they have the lowest fees and the most protection.

@Account Closed If you're doing business in CA, you will likely be subject to CA laws and CA taxes. The Franchise Tax Board (CA's state tax agency) takes a broad view of what constitutes "doing business" in CA. You also may have to file a CA nonresident income tax return and pay taxes on the income earned from CA sources (i.e. real estate located in the state of California). So you will not likely be able to escape CA taxes no matter what state you create your LLC in - maybe talk to your attorney about which offers better protection for you. Talk to your CPA about tax implications.

*This post does not create an attorney-client or CPA-client relationship.  Readers are advised to seek professional advice.

@Account Closed Typically, it makes the most sense to open your LLC in the state that you do business. Otherwise you get to pay extra fees and such.

Also, there are countless threads here on BP about LLCs, which states to open them in, etc. I know it's easier to start your own thread, but I highly suggest you first go dig around the forums and read old threads.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.