Votes
David Harsh
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
Looking for high cap rate opportunity; Where/When

David Harsh
  • Alexandria, VA
Posted Mar 23 2018, 17:04

Mortgage lender has approved me for right around ~1M for another property. I am looking for the best option right now to maximize my passive monthly income (Less concerned about appreciation) and intrigued by a commercial real estate loan to do this for me. I have two questions:

Which cities are the hottest right now? I am just looking for a good starting place to begin researching specific neighborhoods/options/realtors. I understand that some of the highest options for cap rate might also be riskier, more time intensive. I plan to use a PM and would prefer less involvement but don’t mind a having a defined set of renovations. With this in mind, are there specific cities that come to mind that I should look at? Cleveland and Oklahoma City are two that come to mind.

Should I wait until I have large lump sum to put 20% down on 1M (in 1.5 years) or buy now? I am of the opinion that waiting for at least 20% down payment is advantageous for interest rates (even though they seem like they will only rise this year). Looking at what money I would have for down payment, I am:

• Open to buying 300k property that would close no sooner than June 1st, 2018 
  • Open to buying 1M property that would close no sooner than next June, 2019

Part of me feels like it would be a good idea to buy now, take advantage of low interest rate, start smaller, and the other part of me is telling me to be patient. 

Loading replies...