Inquired about a investor mentorship/community until..

18 Replies

Hello BP community! I'm new to just about everything real estate. I took a chance on myself a few months to invest full time after educating myself for years now. So far I have invested in two deals and want to propel myself with a mentor. I hear that mentors can really take you to the next level and really cut the growing pains down considerably. 

So my question is, has anyone paid for coaching/mentoring that gives you access to their "special" program and community? I inquired about a mentoring group out of Utah that I have been following on YouTube for some time now. I really liked their model and what they represented until I found out they want $20k for their lifetime membership of coaching and mentoring with access to their tools and deals and so on. 

I was shocked. I know you have to invest in yourself before anything with education and everything but that kind of money is a down payment on a property to me. 

Has anyone gone through with something like this and found it worth it? Or should I run? Part of me thinks I should invest into it and part of me doesnt. I dont have alot of capital yet because again I'm just starting to get my feet wet. If anyone has input or experience with anything related to this I would love to hear from you! 

Thank you for the help!

Don't do it.

Originally posted by @Scott Bowles :

Don't do it.

Haha. Seeing from you being Utah as well you might know who I'm referring to or not. But thank you for response. 

Have you been through anything like that or just have heard horror stories?

Originally posted by @Max Keller :

Hi @Moses Lucero  Check out my blog if you have time. My goal is to write one new post a day for people getting started. I hope you find value in the content. I also host a free webinar and teach a Real Estate Investing topic each week. Have a great day!

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/10749/72243-wh...

Thank you Max for that info! Definitely start looking into it!

It seems to me like all of those expensive teaching programs are at best a waste of money if not outright predatory. I would instead use that 20K wisely for whatever kind of investing you are involved in.

Originally posted by @Scott Bowles :

It seems to me like all of those expensive teaching programs are at best a waste of money if not outright predatory. I would instead use that 20K wisely for whatever kind of investing you are involved in.

Very true. Thought the same but wanted some opinions. Thank you!

I know exactly which company you are talking about, I have bought their essentials course for $2000 and I do feel it was worth it.  The instructors are amazing and the free updates for life are very important especially in tax and legal.  I'm planning on upgrading for an additional $18,000 when I can afford it.  I spent more at a 4 year college and learned less about the things that will actually help me grow my business.  The education part is great.

The community is completely separate.  You are buying the education, not the community.  20% of the community will do deals and be great contacts and they will insist you have the full Xtreme combo ($20,000) because they want to know you have the same access to info that they do before they will partner with you on deals.  80% of the community knows the same or less than you do and are basically beginners and hopefully they will do deals eventually.  50% of the community events are set up to teach real estate investing, and half are set up to teach you how to sell other people the real estate education.  If you go into it knowing which events are which, you can choose to only attend the type that you want to go to.  The Real estate geared classes will usually have a 10 min plug for the marketing business, but as long as you are fine with that going in, you know what to expect.

I go to both types of events because I need to know marketing basics and they transfer over to sales of all kinds.  I love talking to Real Estate investors of all levels and have formed some very good friendships.  I did a partnership with some of them but with only the essentials course, we had problems where they wanted me to do things the way they were reading and I have a different mindset.  So again, if you are going to the community to look for partners, buy the full Xtreme Combo.

Unless there's some sort of money back clause I wouldn't. I just signed up for a 10 week coaching with ingoing support thereafter and it's someone local with a good reputation. $500. Not a huge gamble.

@Moses Lucero

I think the biggest issue with any coaching program is you are asked to or strongly encouraged to make up your mind without fully understanding the benefits and the true value of the program. People get talked into something thinking one thing and find out later it was not what they were expecting. 

@Moses Lucero $20K is a lot of money. Frankly, you can pay to learn everything at a fraction of the price. That being said, I think you would be best served deciding your goals and objectives. For instance, if you plan on buying SFRs for the next few years,  there's no need to get a multifamily coach. Alternatively, if you only plan on doing note investing, then getting a conventional real estate guru would be a useless endeavor. 

I know a few people and can give you reviews. PM me if you need anything.

Find a local guy/gal and pay them or work for them. 

FULL DISCLAIMER:  I have & continue to coach & mentor investors for in Las Vegas.  Lately I outsource most training to those who have a particular expertise in specific niches so I have more time for my own investing.

Hi @Moses Lucero ...great question and honestly it would be just easier to give some guidance over the phone or in person since we are both in Vegas...AND I would like you to take something into consideration.  

After you have taken the time to choose the mentor or coach you will learn from; it is entirely up to you to take the info/procedures/lessons they share with you and execute by taking massive action on it.  Otherwise the money that you spent on it will just be a waste.  You have already gotten through the hurtle of acquiring property...now you just need to systematize and turbocharge your investing.

I'm happy to point you in the right direction...text me at the number below & we can schedule time to connect.  I look forward to meeting you soon!

Originally posted by @Jon Lee :

FULL DISCLAIMER:  I have & continue to coach & mentor investors for in Las Vegas.  Lately I outsource most training to those who have a particular expertise in specific niches so I have more time for my own investing.

Hi @Moses Lucero...great question and honestly it would be just easier to give some guidance over the phone or in person since we are both in Vegas...AND I would like you to take something into consideration.  

After you have taken the time to choose the mentor or coach you will learn from; it is entirely up to you to take the info/procedures/lessons they share with you and execute by taking massive action on it.  Otherwise the money that you spent on it will just be a waste.  You have already gotten through the hurtle of acquiring property...now you just need to systematize and turbocharge your investing.

I'm happy to point you in the right direction...text me at the number below & we can schedule time to connect.  I look forward to meeting you soon!

Hey Jon! Thank for that. I would love to hear back from you. 

Such a huge coincidence, I met a nice couple who were talking about your outback reia. And they knew you from high school. 

Thanks again!

@Moses Lucero ....LOL, I know the couple your are talking about.  Text me and we'll get together.  I look forward to hearing from you!

Moses,

Welcome here to b/p, my advice, keep your cc in your pocket for now. 20k is a drop in the bucket, they will up sell you to 40k once you start drinking the koolaide. I started in real estate with a mentor and it served me well. Go to meetups ask around on this forum, what value can you bring to the table? You will find a mentor if you look in the right place. Good luck. I started in the land business in Sandy Valley btw!! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here