Advice Starting Age 20

2 Replies

I am 20 years old and currently in college for Real Estate Finance and Development. I am looking to start investing in multi-family home rental properties. Only being 20 and a full-time student, I don't have a long credit history. 

What would be some advice for starting out now? Any books you would recommend reading? Is there something out there I could take advantage of to help me get started?

@Hunter G. Carswell if you are still a student , and studying real estate my first step of advice would be to focus on school and getting good grades. People will tell you grades don’t matter and the people who typically say that have bad grades

If you can maintain grades while working part time then I would get a part time job in real estate.

Good books to read include many here on BP, including David Greene’s book, and Brandon turner books.

A lot can change between junior year in college and a couple years after. I graduated 2 years ago and already have 3 rentals. Should be up to 6 or 7 by end of next year. Enjoy the journey

@Hunter G. Carswell - tons of books to read and podcast to listen to here on BP, best advice I can give you is find someone you can intern or shadow that invest in the type of real estate you want to invest in. Spend time with them and get some OTJ experience. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.