Newbie Offering help in exchange for experience and knowledge

3 Replies

Hi! 

I am just getting started out in my real estate investment career... well sort of. I probably wont be ready to buy my first buy and hold for at least a year unfortunately. I need to build up some cash reserves and I am still reading and doing some homework. 

While doing  my research and reading one of the repetitive suggestions is to find a mentor. I plan on heavily relying on this community, but I feel that it would be good to have a go to person as well.

Although I am some time out on my first purchase I want to continue to learn as much as possible and network. So, I am looking for someone that I could help out in exchange for knowledge and experience. I am not really sure what that is... but I am willing to do a little work. 

Now, I do have a full time 40 hour a week W-2 job and a family, so my time is somewhat limited. I have a couple hours after work and some time over the weekends, it would be best for me if I could help remotely some how. 

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions am open to them or would like to take me up on the offer. I live in Cleveland Ohio, but if I could help in some way remotely this person doesn't necessarily have to be in the area.

Thanks! - Brian

For me I am aslo new, the safest way to do it is to house hack, for me personally, I am closing on my first 3 bedroom house with a basement near a college here where ii live, so will live in the basement and rent out the 3 rooms to college kids/ or friends. And looking at near investment properties with tenants already in place. Look up on youtube how to calculate numbers on rental property on youtube. Should give you a good start on the numbers! Hope this helps. Look up Grant Cardone on youtube and check out the rich dad poor dad series they help expand the mindset on real estate (Audio on youtube). I am audio listening to Millionaire investor by gary keller its good. But you have a family, look into 4 plex and duplex where you can house hack live in one place with lower down payment than an investment loan and rent out the other spots.

Hey @Brian Legg  , you're in a great area, so don't sell yourself short of opportunities just because you don't have the capital. 

I'm looking to grow my network on the ground over there. I've got a couple duplexes over near 185th with another under contract. Hopefully will pick up a few more this summer and will be spending a lot more time there. 

Shoot me a PM if you want to chat or possibly catch up. I'm heading over for the weekend to do some house shopping :) 

Thanks for the responses guys.

@Ali Zantout unfortunately house hacking is not an option for me, but it is a great idea. I wish I had known about 10 years and two houses ago... I just bought my current primary residence just under two years ago, so moving is not an option. Not to mention I have my second kid on the way in July. I am Still young (30) but wish i had started a little sooner and maybe purchased a duplex or something. oh well hind sight is 20/20 i guess. I have yet to check out youtube thanks for the tip! If a book is on the top Amazon, audible, or bigger pockets list it is probably on my radar. 

@Ryan Evans Cleveland is a good area i just need to get the ball rolling... Not sure what to do without capital. I would rather go with traditional financing for my first deal..

Good Luck with house shopping! maybe if you are out here over the summer I can buy you a cup of coffee and pick your brain.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here