Am I analyzing numbers correctly?

3 Replies

Hello, I'm new to the community and trying to learn to ropes. I'm working on analyzing numbers and came across this multifamily building. I'd very much appreciate some feedback on what I've found. Can anyone please point out what I'm missing in my calculations or if I'm on the right track? 

If I take a 30 yr loan for $1,679,000 with 4% interest, my mortgage would be approximately $4,850/month.

Total current income from the 4 units is $8,795.

Monthly estimated expenses is $3,060.

Mortgage $4,850 + Expenses $3,060 = $7,910

Income $8,795 - Mortgage/Expenses $7,910 = $885

So this would be putting about $885 in my pocket each month.

Assuming the expenses are correct, no vacancy, no capital expenditures, no surprises then yes 885/ mo. In addition you will get consideration back at tax time due to operating expenses and depreciation. Good for you to have found something to consider!

@Marigolde P.
Can you breakdown your expenses and we can tell you if it looks correct
Also getting an investment loan at 4% is outstanding - you sure that is the rate your being charged

Assuming all your expenses are accounted for, you will have, according to your numbers a yearly return of 885x12=10,620$ on investment of around 320,000$ ( 20% down).

That is around 3% cash on cash. BAD investment!!

No go!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.