Realistic Cost for Finishing a basement in Atlanta

4 Replies

Hello BP Friends,

I wanted to reach out as I bought a house with an unfinished basement. I have been considering turning  into a 1/1 or studio with a small bathroom. I would want something that is very simple that I could live in and start to rent out the top and begin real estate investing. I have asked around to a few construction companies but I feel like the information I am getting is very general and the renovations they want to do are a lot more involved than what I need. I am also relatively handy and can do some of the smaller items. Any information or guidance you guys have is appreciated.

Thank you!

James

Please keep in mind:

zoning: Is your property zoned for multi-family or single family?

Basement sqf is usually not counted as living space for appraisals. So, if you want to refinance in the future, it may not add anything to your value

Duplexes may appraise as less than a single family house and thus you might even lower your value.

@Michaela G.

Hi,

I came across your answer and I really hope you can help answer a couple of my question. I've reached out to the city of Atlanta and got no reply, I've asked 2 Realtors and they don't seem to know the answer either. So my understanding is if I put a kitchenette in the basement suite then It becomes an in-law suite, which can happen in a single home zone and doesn't require city's approval. But if I put a kitchen, then it becomes a duplex, so I gotta either do it where it is zoned in a duplex or have the city's approval. So my question is:

1. Can I legally rent out an I law suite?

2. Do I need the city's approval to rent out an inlaw suite?

Thank you so much for your time!

Jenny

Originally posted by @Jen Chou :

@Michaela G.

Hi,

I came across your answer and I really hope you can help answer a couple of my question. I've reached out to the city of Atlanta and got no reply, I've asked 2 Realtors and they don't seem to know the answer either. So my understanding is if I put a kitchenette in the basement suite then It becomes an in-law suite, which can happen in a single home zone and doesn't require city's approval. But if I put a kitchen, then it becomes a duplex, so I gotta either do it where it is zoned in a duplex or have the city's approval. So my question is:

1. Can I legally rent out an I law suite?

2. Do I need the city's approval to rent out an inlaw suite?

Thank you so much for your time!

Jenny

I'm sorry, Jenny, but I really don't know. Have never done that. My suggestion would be to go downtown to the zoning office and sit down with them and talk to them.