Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Charlie C.
  • Buffalo NY
Votes |
20 year old w/ six-figure income and no expenses. What to do?

Charlie C.
  • Buffalo NY
Posted Jun 17 2018, 20:51

Hey everyone! 

I'm a 20 year old from the Buffalo, New York area who is looking to break into real estate. I currently make just over six figures annually with my only expenses being a car and (soon to be paid off) student loans. I plan on living with my parents for the next 3-4 years while aggressively investing the vast majority of my post-tax income.

I've always been interested in real estate and think that it could play a large role in my portfolio. After reading up on the subject for a few months, I'm ready to purchase my first property. 

Some of my questions/concerns:

1. I am not very handy. As a result, should avoid purchasing properties that require more than a negligible amount of work? (I feel vulnerable knowing so little about home renovation processes. How can I assure that contractors won't take me for a ride?)
  2. Real Estate can't consume my life (yet). I can dedicate maybe 5-10 hours to this endeavor weekly. Would hiring a Property Management company be something worth considering?
  3. What kind of legal entity should I form? From my understanding, LLC's and Corporations have different tax requirements.
  4. I'd prefer to avoid both downtrodden and luxury real estate. 

What would you do if you were in my situation? Any advice is appreciated!

Loading replies...