How to get started???

14 Replies

Hello Everyone, Sooo me and a buddy of mine have recently started learning about REI and were told to come to BP to learn more and since then we have been hooked and want to get started! We’ve been listening to podcasts, taking notes and trying to take in as much information as we can. We are very motivated to get this started and want to see if anyone could help us.. we don’t have money to put down but both work full time jobs and make decent money. If you guys could maybe lead us in the right direction or network us with someone who is willing to teach us how to get started. Thank you in advance.

Well the first thing you’ll need is money. I spent 10 months saving before I bought anything. The first I’d do is that.

Second, not sure what “good money” is defined as but if it’s less than 100k per year it’s probably not as good as you think it is. So maybe look for ways to earn more

Originally posted by @Gilbert Ramos :
Hello Everyone, Sooo me and a buddy of mine have recently started learning about REI and were told to come to BP to learn more and since then we have been hooked and want to get started! We’ve been listening to podcasts, taking notes and trying to take in as much information as we can. We are very motivated to get this started and want to see if anyone could help us.. we don’t have money to put down but both work full time jobs and make decent money. If you guys could maybe lead us in the right direction or network us with someone who is willing to teach us how to get started. Thank you in advance.

Yo welcome to BP and investing. So don't listen to the people who say you need money. That is a massive lie - I started with zero money and have done tons of deals. Most my leads are free and I never pay for marketing. I've been where you are so message me on facebook or on here with questions and I'll tell you everything I know.

@Skylar Vincent  what you’re most likely referring to is sort of a common Misnomer on BP.  If you are spending no money and making money that’s great but that’s not investing that’s a job.  

Investing is I stick X amount of money somewhere and get a return.  Not sure what I said that made you think I’m a cash buyer, I finance plenty lol.  

Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth :

@Skylar Vincent  what you’re most likely referring to is sort of a common Misnomer on BP.  If you are spending no money and making money that’s great but that’s not investing that’s a job.  

Investing is I stick X amount of money somewhere and get a return.  Not sure what I said that made you think I’m a cash buyer, I finance plenty lol.  

See this is where I think you don't understand real estate very well. You think you need money to obtain properties as long term (30yrs+) passive income producing investments. This is one of the biggest held myths in real estate that you need any type of money for this. Almost all of my passive income properties required zero money to obtain and keep. This includes SFR and commercial properties.

I will correct one thing I said - when I said cash buyer I meant it as - "he thinks you need need cash for either 100% cash purchases or down payments for a mortgage". Which is exactly what you just told me.

Investing will magnify current habits and behaviors.  Check why you have a good income but no money. It's probably sitting in your driveway, ready to take you out again. Double whammy!

I'm with Caleb. I'd get my financial house in order and save some money.  I've purchased creatively before but not because I had to.  Investing is about prioritizing our spending and our time.  

Originally posted by @Skylar Simpson :
Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

Check why you have a good income but no money. It's probably sitting in your driveway, ready to take you out again. Double whammy!

What...?

What do you mean what?

A car payment sitting in the driveway. It also waits, depreciating in value everyday, to take them clubbing or whatever.  Those are the usual wealth suckers of those that earn a good income but have no money.

You the thread police on this topic, Skylar? Do we need your approval before posting anything that's not a vague reference to your creative secrets? 

Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan :
Originally posted by @Skylar Simpson:

Check why you have a good income but no money. It's probably sitting in your driveway, ready to take you out again. Double whammy!

What...?

What do you mean what?

A car payment sitting in the driveway. It also waits, depreciating in value everyday, to take them clubbing or whatever.  Those are the usual wealth suckers of those that earn a good income but have no money.

You the thread police on this topic, Skylar? Do we need your approval before posting anything that's not a vague reference to your creative secrets? 

Why would you need my permission? I asked "what" because you said something super random and then agreed with the guy giving advice that was misleading. Also not sure why you think I would have some creative secret - pretty much every investment technique can be googled now a days.

So I was just curious if there was some hidden meaning. I appreciate the explanation though man.

Edit: Didn't mean for the comment to sound harsh - so if it was taken that way my bad :)

What...?

What do you mean what?

Why would you need my permission? I asked "what" because you said something super random and then agreed with the guy giving advice that was misleading. Also not sure why you think I would have some creative secret - pretty much every investment technique can be googled now a days.

So I was just curious if there was some hidden meaning. I appreciate the explanation though man.

Edit: Didn't mean for the comment to sound harsh - so if it was taken that way my bad :)

I did misread your what as harsh. My bad.  'You completely lost me here' maybe would have been clearer.  I know I'm not easy to follow sometimes, if anyone even cares.

I've seen a lot of posters say how they can help offline, by PM or FB.  Most are selling a creative secret. My bad (I hope) again!

What...?

What do you mean what?

I did misread your what as harsh. My bad.  'You completely lost me here' maybe would have been clearer.  I know I'm not easy to follow sometimes, if anyone even cares.

I've seen a lot of posters say how they can help offline, by PM or FB.  Most are selling a creative secret. My bad (I hope) again!

Haha ya man - looks like we were both on guard. It's cool and you're right I definitely should of wrote the lost me thing. Ya I hate hate hate those people selling "secrets" or trying to recruit on here its one of my biggest pet peeves. I am an open book. Anyone wants to know anything and I'll tell them for free. No reason to be secretive. 

I only mention hitting me in PM's or FB so it doesn't spam the post honestly.  :D

What...?

What do you mean what?

Haha ya man - looks like we were both on guard. It's cool and you're right I definitely should of wrote the lost me thing. Ya I hate hate hate those people selling "secrets" or trying to recruit on here its one of my biggest pet peeves. I am an open book. Anyone wants to know anything and I'll tell them for free. No reason to be secretive. 

I only mention hitting me in PM's or FB so it doesn't spam the post honestly.  :D

We're definitely on the same side then!

Kinda like when The Rock and Jason Statham realized they were on the same side in Fast 8!  First they had to scuffle a little.  I probably lost you again...don't worry about it. I get thay way.

What...?

What do you mean what?

We're definitely on the same side then!

Kinda like when The Rock and Jason Statham realized they were on the same side in Fast 8!  First they had to scuffle a little.  I probably lost you again...don't worry about it. I get thay way.

Lol! That actually made me laugh - good stuff man - I 100% know what you're talking about. Glad to hear we're on the same page now :D