Tools for analyzing rent

9 Replies

Hi Everyone - in the thick of analyzing and due diligence and was wondering what are some of the tools BPers use to analyze comparable rents near a target SFR/MFR? From the podcast and webinars I know that rentometer is a good resource but wondering if there are any other options out there...

I look at zillow rents ads for that zip code, filtered by number of bedrooms and sqft within 200 plus or minus.  Not perfect but it's a starting point.

I'd recommend rent-o-meter! You can pick the radius of the search, the type of property (apt vs. house or duplex) and it will tell you if your rent is reasonable for the area. 

Search Zillow, other apartment sites, and even Facebook Marketplace to look at current listings. We normally try to find the average of comparable apartments to determine what we can expect for rent.

You can contact your local chapter of NARPM. They track regional rents and can give you all kinds of data, usually from the last quarter- its provided to them by residential property managers in real time, so I think it's the most accurate rental data available.

Originally posted by @Corby Goade :

You can contact your local chapter of NARPM. They track regional rents and can give you all kinds of data, usually from the last quarter- its provided to them by residential property managers in real time, so I think it's the most accurate rental data available.

Corby - this is great info.  Thank you for sharing!  I'll definitely look into NARPM as a resource in my market.