Jobs that help real estate

5 Replies

As a college student graduating next year, I have been trying to learn as much as possible about real estate through books, podcasts, and any other outlet that offers help. I am currently studying finance at school, and like many students am not really sure what I want to do after I graduate. What I do know, is that I want to be self-employed. I would like to get a job out of college that will help me do this, specifically in the real estate industry.

As mentioned, I am a Finance major at the University of Iowa. My question to bigger pockets is what do you recommend for a job that would help me in the future of real estate investing? Thank you all for your help and enjoy the weekend!

@Sean Liszka - Awesome that you are catching onto this real estate bug so early. 

Here is my recommendation:

1. Work for a real estate investor. Go to your local REIA, message people on BiggerPockets in your area, and try to find a job helping an investor out. The amount you'll learn from this investor will be worth far more than whatever you get paid.

2. Get your real estate license while in school. That way when you get out you can hit the ground running. When joining a brokerage, join one with great mentorship.

3. Property Management - Find yourself a property management company. I would suggest trying to find a smaller one. That way it feels less corporate and you'll likely have more interaction with property managers and investors who know more than you. 

There are a whole bunch of ways, but I would say those would be my top 3. I would worry less about how much you get paid and more about how much you can learn at this stage. 

That's it right there. The above. @Craig Curelop .

1. Real Estate License
2. Meet people and learn the biz.
3. Learn property management.

I've been a PM for over 10 years, on no day is it like you think it is.

Oh, and save every penny so you can invest.

@Account Closed @Craig Curelop thank you both for your replies. Funny you both mention the license, I am currently about half way through the class to get this license which I’m very excited about! I have thought a lot about property management, as I have some experience as a project manager for a national contracting company. I really enjoyed what I did there as well so definitely something to consider. Can I join on to these types of companies directly as a property manager or so I have to start somewhere else? As for working under a real estate investor, do you recommend just trying to get in with one and trying to shadow them over a long term, or get more of a set position? Thank you guys again!
Originally posted by @Sean Liszka :

As a college student graduating next year, I have been trying to learn as much as possible about real estate through books, podcasts, and any other outlet that offers help. I am currently studying finance at school, and like many students am not really sure what I want to do after I graduate. What I do know, is that I want to be self-employed. I would like to get a job out of college that will help me do this, specifically in the real estate industry.

As mentioned, I am a Finance major at the University of Iowa. My question to bigger pockets is what do you recommend for a job that would help me in the future of real estate investing? Thank you all for your help and enjoy the weekend!

Do NOT get a job related to real estate.

1) Get your dream job. Aim high!

2) If you can't get that dream job, get a job in your field of study that will enable you to excel and climb the ladder.

3) Be frugal. Don't buy a fancy car, and have your eyes on your goal.

4) Save money, make money.

5) When you are not focusing on your job, focus on real estate (during your off time).

6) when you are a bit settled in your job, start becoming a wholesaler.

7) If you seriously can NOT stand wholesaling (like me).. BECOME a wholesaler ANYWAYS. Wholesaling is the equivalent to your college degree, but in real estate investing.

8) become a good wholesaler

9) Become a GREAT wholesaler.

10) After your first 4, 5, 6 deals, you now know how to find off market deals. You know how to estimate repair costs and you know how to spot flip deals.

Now you are ready to do whatever you want in REI!

The logic behind this is that as a young person you need to diversify. You need to grow your skill set. This does not only develop you the field you are working in.

It develops your entire attitude, your mind, your discipline and you train your mind to be able to handle many things at once.

The worst thing you can do is  have tunnel experience. Just. One. Thing. You. Are. Good. At.

If you get fed up with real estate, if it doesn't pan out, if it takes TOO long to make money... then what?! You left yourself no options.

Focus on your life while you pursue Real Estate.

This is what I would do, personally...