Best advice for beginners?

Best advice for beginners?

Rental Property Investor · IA · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 26 votes
What is the best advice you got when you where first starting out or before you purchase your first investment? Do you still go by the advice?
0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

A really smart realtor helped me get started 10 years ago by buying a simple, local 12 year old 3/2 HUD foreclosure for $70K and another $15K in improvements. I did the simple stuff myself - paint, tile, wood laminate, gently used appliances, fixtures, ceiling fans and I contracted a few items like repair of a split floor joist, electrical short and a few plumbing problems. I self mange and the property has been rented to the same lady for 9 years. I think she has called me maybe 4 times and has never been late on rent. 16 SFHs later, I've made my share of mistakes and encountered all the typical problems. The first house was a great education for things to come. What started out as a hobby allowed me to retire early and cash flow life. Best of luck to you.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Aubrey H. "Look for sellers who NEED to sell."

    That is pretty much the entire business of real estate investing right there. Naturally over the years I tried to get clever and figure out a way to get deals without motivated sellers. Guess what? It never worked LOL!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    A really smart realtor helped me get started 10 years ago by buying a simple, local 12 year old 3/2 HUD foreclosure for $70K and another $15K in improvements. I did the simple stuff myself - paint, tile, wood laminate, gently used appliances, fixtures, ceiling fans and I contracted a few items like repair of a split floor joist, electrical short and a few plumbing problems. I self mange and the property has been rented to the same lady for 9 years. I think she has called me maybe 4 times and has never been late on rent. 16 SFHs later, I've made my share of mistakes and encountered all the typical problems. The first house was a great education for things to come. What started out as a hobby allowed me to retire early and cash flow life. Best of luck to you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2017 · 28 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    Research! Research! Research! 

    And I definitely still live by that advice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.