Learning material/book recommendations?

8 Replies

Hi, I’m trying to educate myself on real estate investing (I know that’s a broad statement). My wife and I have a duplex near Philadelphia that we occupy part of and I would like to get more rental properties (and hopefully work my way up to apartment buildings). I’m well rounded in the trades and very handy so I’m interested in flipping and foreclosure-type stuff. I’m not planning on buying anything else right away but want to take a year or two to thoroughly educate myself on how the market works, how to finance safely, how to find and recognize good deals and anything else that would help me make good choices when I get some money to invest. I would greatly appreciate some book recommendations or references to anything like that.

I recently read "The Value of Debt" and loved that book. I host a podcast called "Landlording for Life" as well. I love listening to different podcasts to gather different ideas too!

@Zach White welcome to the Biggerpockets! Ton of great books out there. You might enjoy The ABCs of Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy. Honestly not my favorite book but does go into a decent amount of finance/numbers of the deals if I remember correctly.

I have to admit I haven't read it yet but its on my short list. The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs and The Book on Flipping Houses: How to Buy, Rehab, and Resell Residential Properties  by J Scott.

J spoke at the MidAtlantic conference back in April and is a very experienced and motivating!

Finding and funding deals from anson young.  Pretty comprehensive book.  

Book on flipping houses, estimating rehab costs

Book on managing rental properties

These are probably the top 3 i've read to this point.  

Hi @Zach White , if you are looking to acquire some more rentals Brandon Turner's "The book on managing rental properties" is a great one. It's got a ton of actionable steps for the entire rental process. It touches on acquiring deals but does not go really in depth with that aspect. As far as the small details of managing rentals though it's really great.