Individual A/C units per unit?

10 Replies

I'm putting in four furnaces, one for each unit, in my 4 plex and my HVAC guy said he would just have two AC units to run the 4 units and split the bill. Smart move? If so, how do you bill your tenants? Or just spend the money for individual units?

No because people want different temperatures and have different climate control habits.  Example I set my climate at 78 in the summer and 68 in the winter.  I'd be pretty upset if I had to pay the power bill for someone trying to keep the temp at 68 degrees 24/7 with the windows open when it is 100+ degrees outside.

@Aaron K. correct me if I'm wrong, but there will be separate thermostats that are controlled by the furnaces? Because the unit will have separate connections to both furnaces the problem becomes billing each tenant

@Bradley LaBrie I do think you can have one furnace run two units and each have their own thermostat, but the billing would be the difficult part. 

@Grant Rothenburger well My plan was to have two furnaces but im wondering if it's feasible billing wise to have one A/C?

@Bradley LaBrie how would having two thermostats work the A/C is either on or off and would cool both or not unless you got fancy with the ducting.  Maybe there is something I'm overlooking but I don't see how each unit could be controlled individually let alone billed individually.

@Bradley LaBrie That's honestly beyond me. I thought the plan was to have 4 furnaces but the HVAC guy says to just do 2? I'm confused 

Originally posted by @Aaron K. :

@Bradley LaBrie how would having two thermostats work the A/C is either on or off and would cool both or not unless you got fancy with the ducting.  Maybe there is something I'm overlooking but I don't see how each unit could be controlled individually let alone billed individually.

I agree, I said something like that to an HVAC friend of mine once, he told me it can be done is done often. Hotels, large apartment communities, office buildings, not every unit has a separate AC and furnace. Idk the technicals but it can be done.

@Grant Rothenburger @Aaron K. thanks guys. Here in Michigan it might be different, we have a coil installed in the furnace which allows it to be separate thermostats. I'm no HVAC guy but I was told 2 units per 1 AC by an installer. So yes, 4 furnaces and 2 AC units. But perhaps there's a better way? Thanks again.

@Bradley LaBrie splitting bills sucks. You get tenants who complain the person they are splitting with is using more than they are. You don't want to be in the billing business. I would happily spend the extra couple thousand dollars to avoid this. No reason to do this half @ss.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here