What is a holding company? And how do you start it?

What is a holding company? And how do you start it?

Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
Hi, I’m curious to know what is a holding company and how do you start one? I currently own a multi family home and I want to get an investment property but would like to put it under a LLC but I keep hearing that it’s good to have a holding company if you decide to have multiple LLCs?
0Reply
38 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    @Andy Rod You just have another llc own the other llcs which own the properties
  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    @Caleb Heimsoth so I live in NY but I want to buy property in NJ...does it matter where I open the llc?
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Andy Rod it doesn’t matter but I suggest registering in the state of the property 

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    @Caleb Heimsoth got it...one last thing is it stupid to open my first llc in NY as my holding company and then another llc in NJ as another company under the holding company umbrella? Sorry to bug you my friend
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Andy Rod how many properties do you own?  Is what you’re wanting to buy next a commercial property?

    If you own zero or very few you don’t need a llc.  You think you do, you don’t.

    Good luck 

  • CA AZ, IL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Andy Rod:
    @Caleb Heimsoth so I live in NY but I want to buy property in NJ...does it matter where I open the llc?

    Not really matter, but to protect your assets and lower taxation better to open LLC in state where property located. And holding LLC in Wyoming or Nevada. This 2 states provide best assets protection policy.

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    @Caleb Heimsoth got it thanks bud!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.