Beginner Question About REI

4 Replies

I’m 18 years old, about to start college, and am interested in real estate investing. My question is: What is the best way to start investing? (After educating myself of course.) I obviously don’t have the money to buy a property outright and from what little I have read about wholesaling, it’s a tough beast to conquer as a beginner. I probably shouldn’t be concerned about this yet as it’ll be awhile before I’m educated enough to start looking for my first property, but nevertheless, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @Zeb Getrost ,

How to get started investing should have less to do with your age and how much money you have, and more to do with why you are interested in real estate in the first place.  Figuring out your "why" can help you decide where you want to end up, and that makes it easier to figure out your first step.

If your reason for investing leads you down a fix and flip path, I would start off by trying to get a job in construction.  You will learn a lot that will help you either do the work on your own properties in the future, or (even better) that will help you manage contractors on your jobs.

If your reason for investing leads you down a buy and hold path, I would consider getting a job either as a realtor or as a property manager.  Both will help you gain valuable skills that will make you a better buy and hold investor.

Having those skills will also make it easier to partner with someone else (who has money) since you will be bringing valuable skills to the partnership.

Of course, getting paid to learn will also help you save up your own money to begin investing in properties.

Originally posted by @Zeb Getrost :
I’m 18 years old, about to start college, and am interested in real estate investing. My question is: What is the best way to start investing? (After educating myself of course.) I obviously don’t have the money to buy a property outright and from what little I have read about wholesaling, it’s a tough beast to conquer as a beginner. I probably shouldn’t be concerned about this yet as it’ll be awhile before I’m educated enough to start looking for my first property, but nevertheless, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Bigger Pockets Zeb!

This is a fantastic website for networking and learning from successful investors.  Learn, do, and have fun! 

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Best regards,

Renee