The Money Show Podcasts...are great

13 Replies

Just found out about The Money Show podcasts and they are great.  I really enjoy listening to them.  I was curious if there were any plans to have more personal finance blog posts/PF hacks/PF Forums or anything in the works.  Would be cool to branch out of all things real estate to help people have bigger pockets lol

@Scott Trench @Mindy Jensen @Joshua Dorkin

Hi @Joe M. . Thanks for listening!

Yes, we have plans for more personal finance blogs, videos, etc. 

What's your favorite PF hack?

Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen :

Hi @Joe Marshall . Thanks for listening!

Yes, we have plans for more personal finance blogs, videos, etc. 

What's your favorite PF hack?

I really enjoyed the credit card travel points one.

It would be cool to do one different ways of earning horizontal income

Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen :

That's not a phrase I'm familiar with, @Joe Marshall . What do you mean by horizontal income?

Now I hope I am using it correctly lol  I could have sworn I heard it on a podcast.

Basically just passive streams of income.  

We did just have an episode with Nick Loper about Side Hustles. Not so much passive, but definitely ways to make more income without getting an actual second job.

www.biggerpockets.com/moneyshow28

@Mindy Jensen

@Scott Trench

I'd really like to know why, in your opinions, basic money management is not taught in schools. I think most people would agree that poverty is very much a pressing social problem in the USA.

I remember in health class in NY back in the 90s, I had to learn how to feel around for testicular cancer on a nasty little silicone model, and yet no teacher in any class spent even a minute to explain how to put together a monthly spending budget.

43 million Americans live below the federal poverty line and 9,310 American men were diagnosed with testicular cancer last year. So how are these educational priorities justifiable?

@Jim K. , I'm not sure why it isn't taught in school. It should be, but it should also be taught by parents. I want my children to have my same financial values, so I am involving them in conversations every day.

My sister is a teacher, and time and again she comes up against parents who feel that everything should be taught in school, they spend zero time educating their children. That just isn't a valid way to think. Teachers have only so much time in the day, and reading, math, science, etc. take up the entire day. 

@Mindy Jensen

Kiyosaki has said repeatedly that he suspects it's not an accident at all that personal finance isn't taught in schools.

The first rule of life: have rich parents.

Sadly, my parents would not have been able to teach something they completely didn't understand themselves.

But then again, I've known plenty of children born to affluent parents and very few of them were worth a tinker's damn.

"I congratulate poor young men upon being born to that ancient and honourable degree which renders it necessary that they should devote themselves to hard work. A basketful of bonds is the heaviest basket a young man ever had to carry. He generally gets to staggering under it. We have in this city creditable instances of such young men, who have pressed to the front rank of our best and most useful citizens. These deserve great credit. But the vast majority of the sons of rich men are unable to resist the temptations to which wealth subjects them, and sink to unworthy lives. I would almost as soon leave a young man a curse, as burden him with the almighty dollar. It is not from this class you have rivalry to fear. The partner’s sons will not trouble you much, but look out that some boys poorer, much poorer than yourselves, whose parents cannot afford to give them the advantages of a course in this institute, advantages which should give you a decided lead in the race–look out that such boys do not challenge you at the post and pass you at the grand stand. Look out for the boy who has to plunge into work direct from the common school and who begins by sweeping out the office. He is the probable dark horse that you had better watch."

Andrew Carnegie

First Generation earns it.

Second Generation spends it.

Thirds Generation loses it.

@Mindy Jensen

I was looking through old show notes trying because I thought I remembered you and Scott mentioning that you would add a list of FI podcasts for people at different points in their journey. Am I remembering that correctly? — Thank you!

Hi @Pat Birkeland

The Mad Fientist is one of my favorites. MadFi interviews a variety of people at different points of their journey. 

Pour Not Poor with Joel Laarsgaard. Not an interview show, two guys chatting plus a great craft beer.

The Fairer Cents with Tanja Hester and Kara Perez focuses on issues impacting women. (Your name is Pat, and you have no avatar so IDK if you are male or female, but both genders will be reading this.)

The Retirement Answer Man with Roger Whitney is a great show. Roger truly loves helping people, and his advice is really great.