Long Distance Mentoring

7 Replies

After pouring over hours and hours of videos, books and "step by step" learning material I've come to the conclusion that my education in commercial real estate has a lot of gaps. It's time for a mentor, but how? Unlike people in the states I am on an opposing schedule of the normal 9-5pm, limited phone functionality, currently deployed to Afghanistan, and work 12 hour days 6 days a week. Any tips on how to find and work with a mentor in my situation? Or some recommendations for reading material that gets into the fine details of contracts, direct mail campaigns, working with title companies, etc.? Thanks for your time. 

Originally posted by @Joey Tuckey :

After pouring over hours and hours of videos, books and "step by step" learning material I've come to the conclusion that my education in commercial real estate has a lot of gaps. It's time for a mentor, but how? Unlike people in the states I am on an opposing schedule of the normal 9-5pm, limited phone functionality, currently deployed to Afghanistan, and work 12 hour days 6 days a week. Any tips on how to find and work with a mentor in my situation? Or some recommendations for reading material that gets into the fine details of contracts, direct mail campaigns, working with title companies, etc.? Thanks for your time. 

Are you buying properties in Afghanistan? Not likely. I hear it's pretty tribal. Your description is somewhat akin to "I want to learn to be a flame eater while I'm scuba diving. Neat trick if you could do it, but It doesn't mix. The only possible way to make it work is to hire someone to do it for you until you return stateside. You might consider buying a turnkey if you are that serious.

Thanks for the feedback Mike. You're right, it's pretty tribal out here and I'm uncertain on the local mud hut markets ability to cash flow. I'll definitely look into turnkey properties but it seems there wouldn't be much forced appreciation in that scenario? Of course I could be totally off on that. No matter what I'll keep studying and learning until the opportunity to work with someone much wiser than myself arises.

@Joey Tuckey , I know this is geared more towards residential than commercial, but when I was living in Asia for a while I got a little restless and ended up doing a few wholesale deals all the way back in Indianapolis. It's a good way to make extra cash, stay in tune with your home town market and hit the ground running when you get back. Partner with a wholesaler in your city, and send the marketing from Afghanistan. Split profit 50/50.

You're in Afghanistan. You don't need to worrying about direct mail campaigns or title companies. These are things that people who are building active Real Estate businesses need to worry about. If you want to invest long distance you need to keep it simple. Buy some rental properties from a Realtor or Turnkey company. You should only consider starting an active business in an area you are living in and able to devote full time energy too.

Joey, Good to meet you... 

First THANK YOU for serving our Country. 

Second, if you are open to it get into my program free of charge. Just reach out. 

Happy Hunting on Both Fronts.

Hi @Joey Tuckey , sorry I'm late to the party here and not sure if your situation has changed since you posted this. I'd be happy to speak with you about investment possibilities back in the US while serving abroad. My partner and are are Diplomat investors currently serving in Europe and would be glad to share our experience with investing from overseas. Feel free to reach out to me and we can speak further.

Tim