Stock market even worth it?

4 Replies

Do any of yea have personal money in the stock market? Is it even worth the hassle and time? What are some pros and cons about it? Or is real estate the way to go and invest everything in.
@Gabriel Benavidez right now 100% in stocks, which is why I’m here! Because I need to diversity. Stocks though have been very kind to me in the last two years, primarily in Nasdaq. But it’s not a good long term strategy to be as invested as I am. That said, I think a lot of people don’t love stocks here.

Probably no wrong answer here, and there is a LOT of room here for everybody's favorite response, which is "it depends"....  

Even within the topic of 'investing in the stock market' you will find a range of sub-segments, like day-trading, swing-trading, or low-involvement long-term investing.  You quickly get into this whole discussion of active investing vs passive investing, just like we do with RE investing.  

There is definately something to be said for having focus.  

There is also something to be said for having a hedge, some degree of diversification, as @Tara Wright has noted.

I think you can find 5 or 6 really super proven flippers, right here in Houston or wherever you live, and go in with them as private lenders and probably outperform average returns from any mutual fund you might own.  And save a ton of fees, and have first lien position as collateral.  You get zero collateral in the equities markets.

Either way you invest, just be sure that you have 'risk management' rules set up to protect yourself.  And study it.

Originally posted by @Gabriel Benavidez :
Do any of yea have personal money in the stock market? Is it even worth the hassle and time? What are some pros and cons about it? Or is real estate the way to go and invest everything in.

The fact is everything depends.  Getting involved with real estate is a hassle and requires time.  You have to figure out what is your goals and what are some the ways to get you to where you want to go.