Investing in real estate in the Philippines, or Medellin Columbia

5 Replies

I am looking into doing some international real estate investing in places like the Philippines, Medellin, Columbia and maybe cayo Belize. I'm trying to figure out where to start and would love some pointers, advice, comments or thoughts if anyone has any. 

I've lived in the Philippines for many years. 

Point #1 - foreigners can't own property - unless you're married to a national

Point #2 - you can own a condo - without being married to a national

Point #3 - you can Airbnb your condo

Point #4 - condos start around $38,000 upwards to $190K.

I've toyed with the idea of offering a service to foreign investors as an American "with boots on the ground" to make sure their investment is properly setup.  PM if you're interested.

@Michael Porche Investing internationally is a great idea and I'm doing it myself. What is important to me though is the risk and the return, not the price point (I personally wouldn't invest in low price point properties overseas and you can find more properties with a lower price point in the US). Your risk in higher so you'd want a higher return. In many places, the return is actually lower in the US because you can't leverage. But in certain countries and with certain deals, you can make much more money than in the US. You just have to know what you're doing and have the right access to deals and contacts on the ground.

@Caleb Heimsoth That was 20 years ago. Medellin has had an incredible turnaround and is now one of the world's hotspots for digital nomads, US/foreign retirees. The real estate market is hot because of that and the emerging middle class in Colombia.