The last laugh. My 2 cents about investing.

61 Replies

nice post, @Alan Pederson.

One of my mantra's in life is this: do not judge a book by it's cover. You can have neighbors and friends that are living the extravagant life (fancy cars, mansions, vacations) that are up to their ears in debt. On the other hand, you can have neighbors and friends that live frugally that have millions socked away.

All you can be sure of is yourself; you know what you have, you know how you want to live. Me personally? Be humble.

@Alan Pederson Love it!! People will always call others crazy who they don't understand or who are taking risks. If they want to play it "safe" and work at a job and not invest in their futures, then that's their problem. Love how you tune them out and keep on going!

@Khenkis K. This is why I maintain a general philosophy of never sharing my off-duty plans with anyone. (Unless I know they're like-minded) They will either laugh, shrug, explain in minute detail how they failed (doing it wrong) or try to talk you out of it.

This happens anytime you try to break the mold of what other people think is normal. It is difficult for you to see that because it is also hard to not take that personally. Having other people say those things ... just means you are doing good! Keep it up.

Originally posted by @Clifford Paul :

@Alan Pederson

Alan you will have the last laugh!

I got a lot of negativity in the early years but just keep on buying rentals. Became a millionaire @ 29 and a multi millionaire by 42. Who's laughing now... I am! Money doesn't buy happiness but it does buy freedom to do whatever you want in retirement. 

Stay the course and never give up!

What qualifies as a multi-millionaire?

@Alan Pederson

I got the same reactions at first. I went from hearing similar jokes to jealousy, and now I hear I’m crazy and obsess about it too much. 

But you’re right, everyone here will get the last laugh. Use it as fuel and don’t look back! 

- Mike 

What's really sad is when the people you love question your actions. I remember when we told some of our best friends we sold our house and invested the funds into a mobile home park and their response was, "WHY?" Most people just do not understand the power of real estate. Those who do and never take action AND make you feel stupid for doing so as in your example are just jealous. I think that's the sad truth. The reality is most people will never take action and don't have the courage to make the jump...and so they resort to making you feel bad. It's unfortunate, but true. 

Originally posted by @Linda S. :

@Alan Pederson ,

Here's my a-hole story for you.    My husband/partner is a shop teacher in high school, and loves it and does amazing with the students.    He's the brains on the renovation/construction, probably saves us $10K+ per renovation on labor alone.    One time he was walking to his car at the end of the day with some other teachers, and somehow they were talking about real estate, and another teacher goes "Oh yeah, don't you do it?" so he goes "yeah" and he goes "well, you must not be going that well if you're still here!" .... still grinds my gears, as I'd love to throw the real numbers in his face. ... or just punch him, but both are socially unacceptable.         

So that leads me to my point--- ONLY YOU KNOW YOUR NUMBERS.  For good reason, only you need to know your numbers--- no one else.    Sounds like you're doing amazing, congrats-- don't let d-bag Daves drag you down.. just smile, and know you have income coming in that he'd probably do a lot of unmentionable things for!  

Just smile-- you've already won.  

Co-workers aren't your friends, so I would recommend being as mute and low key as possible if ever asked about your properties.

Linda, I feel your pain. It is a fine line between having your name out there to get more properties and everyone knowing your business. My wife and I have decided just not to let our family, friends and co workers know what is going on. Like you said...just smile and know you are winning.

Originally posted by @Andrey Y. :
Originally posted by @Clifford Paul:

@Alan Pederson

Alan you will have the last laugh!

I got a lot of negativity in the early years but just keep on buying rentals. Became a millionaire @ 29 and a multi millionaire by 42. Who's laughing now... I am! Money doesn't buy happiness but it does buy freedom to do whatever you want in retirement. 

Stay the course and never give up!

What qualifies as a multi-millionaire?

Having more than 2 million dollars in net worth.

Originally posted by @Tyson Cross :

What's really sad is when the people you love question your actions. I remember when we told some of our best friends we sold our house and invested the funds into a mobile home park and their response was, "WHY?" Most people just do not understand the power of real estate. Those who do and never take action AND make you feel stupid for doing so as in your example are just jealous. I think that's the sad truth. The reality is most people will never take action and don't have the courage to make the jump...and so they resort to making you feel bad. It's unfortunate, but true. 

Over years, I realized that not everyone thinks like you do and its OK. Now I dont share my wins with everyone. Dont see the point. It has 2 benefits, keeps me humble and also keeps other people from judging me with their limited knowledge or belief systems. I own my journey and dont have patience for nay sayers.  Theres a saying, " Wise dont need advise and Fools dont heed advise".  Just my 2 cents :)