House hacking in Charlotte NC

7 Replies

Hey everyone! 

My name is Joe and currently live and work in Beijing China. My wife and I will soon be relocating to Charlotte NC. We plan on buying our primary residence first and then renting out the other rooms. We plan on buy a 5 bedroom house for around 250k within a 30 minute drive of downtown Charlotte. 

Has anybody rented out their house in this area? I plan on keeping two rooms for my wife and I and renting out the other three. What price range would you say would be appropriate for your own room in a nice house? Maybe 600+? Think the 500 dollar range would attract maybe some not so awesome tenants and we will be living with these people so hopefully all of our tenants are quiet little angels hahah. 

Just wanted to know what other peoples experience has been house hacking in Charlotte NC.

Thanks for your help ahead of time greatly appreciated!

Joe

@Joe Tesmer I have been buying, selling and flipping , holding real estate in and around Charlotte since 2001. Love the market . We currently are building homes in Catawba SHores Rock Hill SC area. Yet building in Indian Land and Fort Mill SC all 20 to 25 minutes to Charlotte. Feel free to reach out any time if I can help put you with the right folks. 

Sincerely 
Alex Franks 

Originally posted by @Joe Tesmer:

Hey everyone! 

My name is Joe and currently live and work in Beijing China. My wife and I will soon be relocating to Charlotte NC. We plan on buying our primary residence first and then renting out the other rooms. We plan on buy a 5 bedroom house for around 250k within a 30 minute drive of downtown Charlotte. 

Has anybody rented out their house in this area? I plan on keeping two rooms for my wife and I and renting out the other three. What price range would you say would be appropriate for your own room in a nice house? Maybe 600+? Think the 500 dollar range would attract maybe some not so awesome tenants and we will be living with these people so hopefully all of our tenants are quiet little angels hahah. 

Just wanted to know what other peoples experience has been house hacking in Charlotte NC.

Thanks for your help ahead of time greatly appreciated!

Joe

Alright thanks Alex hopefully will be in touch when we finally get to Charlotte!

This post has been removed.

This post has been removed.

Hey Joe, 

Honestly don't know. It may prove difficult to find such a large house under 250k, may have to go a bit farther than 30 minutes. As for rentals, I can't weigh in here. Best of luck and welcome to Charlotte!

@Joe Tesmer Im aware of other investors who are “renting rooms” , one has a local Meetup. I’ll be glad to put you in touch 

Thanks a lot Don! I'm still living abroad but will be in NC in about seven months, Ill message you again in that time.

Grately appreciated!

Joe

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here