FHA Loan for First Time Multifamily Buyer

FHA Loan for First Time Multifamily Buyer

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 9 votes

Hello everyone,

I am thrilled to be a part of the BP community! I live in Los Angeles and have been working as a television producer, however, my goal has always been to purchase a multifamily home to use as my primary residence, and also to begin investing in real estate. 

As you know, Los Angeles is not the best place to find affordable housing, and the prices can be quite inflated. However, after speaking with some people, I have been considering using an FHA loan to purchase my first multifamily property within the next year or two (the inventory is slim, so I am on a long term hunt right now).

Does anyone here have experience using FHA loans to build their real estate portfolio?

Do any of you have any experience in the Los Angeles real estate market? 

I love the idea of buying a property I can actively manage for at least one year, and I get excited just thinking about it. Not to mention I am pretty handy and can do many small repairs on my own (I actually enjoy it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I just want to know if I am on the right track. Thanks!

0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

The great thing about the FHA loan is it allows you to buy anything 1-4 family. I always recommend to use it to get yourself into a 4 unit. Even better if you're able to use the FHA 203k construction loan and get yourself a value add 4plex. There's no other product that'll allow you to buy into an asset with only 3.5% (other than owner financing or the VA loan if you're military).

Just remember you'll be paying PMI (private mortgage insurance) for the life of the loan, so factor that into your costs. Thats why the value add option is a good route. If you fix it up and make it worth significantly more than what you paid, then you can refinance it into a conventional mortgage, pull out $, eliminate PMI and have funds to buy something else.

Good luck @Josh W.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Josh W. look into an FHA 203k, also talk to a lender so that you aren't wasting your time schlepping out to look at properties $100k out of your price range. Do not expect to cash flow while living there or even when you move out because you are using an FHA loan. If you are looking in the city of LA or Santa Monica be aware of the various rent control laws.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Thanks @Aaron K. I appreciate the input. Are you aware of any spreadsheet or tool useful to determine the quality of the property/deal/financing?

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, NH · Member since 2016 · 460 posts · 276 votes
    7y

    Hi @Josh W., welcome to BP!

    I used an FHA loan to start my real estate portfolio...I purchased a four-family outside of Boston (a similar market to yours that has seen prices sky rocket). If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

    I lived there for a year and then recently moved out so it is now fully rented.

    Best,

    Steve

  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Josh W. you can make a simple spreadsheet to evaluate things like cap rate or cash flow, alternatively you could use the BP calculators, however they are behind a pay wall.  As for the quality of the property because you will be an owner occupant it needs to pass the drive by test meaning you drive past the house and determine if it is in a good area or not.

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    The great thing about the FHA loan is it allows you to buy anything 1-4 family. I always recommend to use it to get yourself into a 4 unit. Even better if you're able to use the FHA 203k construction loan and get yourself a value add 4plex. There's no other product that'll allow you to buy into an asset with only 3.5% (other than owner financing or the VA loan if you're military).

    Just remember you'll be paying PMI (private mortgage insurance) for the life of the loan, so factor that into your costs. Thats why the value add option is a good route. If you fix it up and make it worth significantly more than what you paid, then you can refinance it into a conventional mortgage, pull out $, eliminate PMI and have funds to buy something else.

    Good luck @Josh W.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Wow! Thank you all for the information... it is incredibly useful. I will be doing my homework on this subject and I appreciate the opportunity to reach out again with questions, it is certainly helpful to speak with people who actually DO these types of deals. Please let me know if I can help you in any way!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Thank you @Michael Ablan! Very great insights! I am now looking into the value 4plex option. Could be a winner in this area!

  • Real Estate Agent · Inglewood, CA · Member since 2015 · 294 posts · 150 votes
    7y

    @Josh W. I started my portfolio using a FHA loan for a duplex in Inglewood, Ca. I have since refinanced to drop mortgage insurance and obtained a HELOC to possibly pursue out of state investing and other local long term holds.

    I have helped clients purchase 2-4 unit properties in the LA/Southbay Area using FHA loans, but with rates and rents (especially since LA county has a rent freeze) it has become increasingly difficult to meet the self sufficiency standard for FHA 3-4 units, while there is no self sufficiency requirement for duplexes. I agree with the poster above that cashflow in a desirable area will be difficult to obtain. Also, you can obtain multiple FHA loans if buying in an order that is logical to the bank; duplex, condo, single family.

    You are on the right track, FHA 203k rehab loans are good for properties whose condition may not qualify for traditional FHA financing but I would try to use it only for financing necessities and pay out of pocket for aesthetics. I have seen 203k's become cumbersome when the scope of work, contractors and lender are not aligned.

    Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

  • Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    Move to a better market....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.