Fell into a deal I couldn't refuse - but not sure what's next!

Fell into a deal I couldn't refuse - but not sure what's next!

Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi

I just fell into a deal and researching what to do next - 1800ft2 Colonial, 7.5 acres, owner was in trouble and all I had was $10k (owner owned free and clear) and they accepted.  I closed on Dec. 28th .  House is assessed at $210k, but, reality is The house needs some tlc - flooded basement, hoarder house, no structural issues, some mold from basement flooding, electrical issues.  Wasnt really prepared for this...but trying to figure out next steps?  I have been getting some quotes and so far - to make the house "decent" would mean at least $100k.  The house is in a very rural area, nice street and nice homes, with avg value around 280, it is 10 miles out of closest city and not sure it is rentable..  was hoping for some guidance/ suggestions  - 

1Reply
25 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Phillip LanierPro Member
    Uvalde, TX · Member since 2016 · 141 posts · 45 votes
    7y
    @David Richard Sounds like a great opportunity. I had a similar situation where the house cost me $12,000 but the rehab is over $100k. The ARV is $220,000. One thing to be careful with is really watch that budget. With a big project like that, you will most definately go over projected budget. There will be unforseen issues and things that will need to be addressed. But, I think at that ARV, you will be fine. Good luck!!!!!
  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Hey Phillip 

    Thanks for responding so quickly!  This is a bit daunting being my first endeavor.  Seems like a no brainer, but...

    Good advice, I will definitely build in contingency and expect the worse and hope for the best!

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    List it on the market for $60-$80k, see what happens.  If it’s worth what you think, a flipper or someone wanting to fix it and live In it will buy it.

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thanks Wayne - my wife was suggesting that route also, do you think it is worth it to clean out first? (Estimated 130 cubic yards of trash and stuff)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.