Votes
Brock Norton
  • Centerville, UT
Votes |
Single Family Homes vs Multi family strategy

Brock Norton
  • Centerville, UT
Posted Feb 6 2019, 14:25

I want to get out of the rat race.  I know there are many ways of doing so and to each their own.  I work a full time w2 job, own a painting business that runs on its own, and my wife and I run flips too.  We've owned one rental in the past as well, but don't have it anymore, but I want to get back into it.

I go back and forth over the approach and wanted to see what you guys thought. Basically my understanding is that SFH's cash flow much better on a per unit basis, but with MFH's you get more units under one roof for the benefits of economies of scale. It takes, at least I've heard a bunch of times, as much work or close to it to get a 12 unit as it does a 120 unit property.

My initial thought was to go with SFH to more "quickly" get out of the rat race, i.e. get my cash flow churning and burning via bigger cash flow per unit, but if it takes about the same or a little more work to get a 25, 50, or 120 unit then why not do it? Especially if I can come up with the funds through partnership etc? I can do BRRRR for both so I don't think it is a BRRRR issue for me. Then once I had a portfolio of properties that got me out of the rat race with sfh's then I would transition into apartment buildings.

Thoughts?  Advice?

Loading replies...