Incorporate LLC in Wyoming Vs Michigan?

Incorporate LLC in Wyoming Vs Michigan?

Rental Property Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes

Hi BP members,

I'm wondering if anyone can provide some real world practical advice on the pros and cons of registering my LLC in Wyoming (for charging order protection) versus registering my LLC in Michigan (my home state and the place I will be buying properties). My lawyer said that he has had clients with out of state LLCs that had issues getting approved for loans because "they were seen as a suspicious outside company buying up local assets". Thank you for the insights.

-Kevin 

0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe HammelBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2018 · 612 posts · 666 votes
4y

@Kevin Cooper

If you’re planning on acquiring quite a few properties a common strategy is:

1. Own a Holding company LLC in Wyoming..or Nevada (Favorable laws)

2. Have Michigan LLCs with 1-10 proeprties in them, held by your holding company

Not legal advice, just my personal and a popular strategy in the industry.

We have a write up on LLCs we can share if you’d like.

FIRE Realty Team - Keller Williams5379 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland County · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 97 votes
    7y

    Hi @Kevin Cooper. I happen to be researching the same exact thing. I don't have a direct answer for you, but I can stir the pot with what I've seen so far (I haven't actually executed anything yet).

    I had an initial consultation with an out of state lawyer who recommended that I form an LLC in Wyoming and have it be the controlling member of my Michigan LLC. As in your case, this was recommended to control/set/protect the charging order. I have an immediate family member who is a (non-real estate) lawyer and I asked her about this. She seemed puzzled and, after a quick disclaimer, said that it seemed like an odd and unnecessarily complicated thing to do, because "The corporate veil in Michigan is already difficult to pierce.".

    Funnily enough, we happen to have another family member who works at a title company. I had told this family member about my initial consultation and she told me that she has a real estate investor client who has dozens of properties under a Wyoming LLC. I told my lawyer relative about this, and she said that she would look into it for me.

    And that's where I'm at currently!

    It seems odd to me that a company would have a hard time finding a loan if they're from out of state. If the deal is good and the company's financials are on order, I wouldn't think that that would matter too much. Of course I'm just speculating.

    I look forward to hearing what other folks have to say!

  • Rental Property Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the reply @Kyle Shankin. Super interested to see what you found out. I've already requested the LLC from the state of MI based on the advice of my attorney. Hoping I won't regret that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland County · Member since 2018 · 151 posts · 97 votes
    7y

    In my opinion, Incorporating at any capacity is a good thing @Kevin Cooper.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    If I understand what I'm reading here about MICHIGAN law correctly: 1) the court can charge my LLC with paying the damages awarded a plaintiff. 2) the plaintiff is only entitled to distributions from the LLC. 3) this does not deprive me of any exemptions the LLC enjoys. 4) the plaintiff does not gain membership to my LLC or deprive me of membership and my rights therein. 5) the charging order is a lien that cannot be foreclosed on. 6) this is the exclusive means a plaintiff has of satisfying a judgement against my LLC.

    Sounds like the same protection you would enjoy from Wyoming.

  • Scott SmithPro Member
    Attorney · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 932 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Cooper:

    Hi BP members,

    I'm wondering if anyone can provide some real world practical advice on the pros and cons of registering my LLC in Wyoming (for charging order protection) versus registering my LLC in Michigan (my home state and the place I will be buying properties). My lawyer said that he has had clients with out of state LLCs that had issues getting approved for loans because "they were seen as a suspicious outside company buying up local assets". Thank you for the insights.

    -Kevin 

    One of the major benefits of establishing an LLC in Wyoming is that is introduces a level of anonymity within the entity itself. This means that your name is not going to be listed on public record for that LLC, which can deter lawsuits before they even take place because potential plaintiffs and opposing counsel will need to invest in discovery before even being able to prove you own the entity. The same function can also often be accomplished through using a land trust with a regular LLC with the assistance of an attorney, as described in this article. The land trusts also offer a few additional benefits above the Wyoming LLC, but the anonymity would likely be the reason it was recommended to you.

    This isn't legal advice, just my opinion as a real estate investor.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fenton, MI · Member since 2019 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Thank you @Scott Smith. That’s some great info. So much to learn here!

  • granger, IN · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    5y
    I'm in the same situation. Do you end up with Michigan LLC or Wyoming? To Scott's point, you can maintain anonymity if you ask attorney to file for LLC and no need to disclose member in article of organization.
  • Investor · Laguna Niguel, CA · Member since 2019 · 48 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    From my understanding Michigan has that same level of anonymity, so then why still have the Wyoming LLC on top of that?

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4y

    You an have an attorney, a CPA or any other professional act as the agent for the LLC in Michigan and use their name and address. This protects the owner's identity.

    Just don't be ignorant and use your name, initials, street, or anything else that can link you personally to the LLC.

  • Joe HammelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2018 · 612 posts · 666 votes
    4y

    @Kevin Cooper

    If you’re planning on acquiring quite a few properties a common strategy is:

    1. Own a Holding company LLC in Wyoming..or Nevada (Favorable laws)

    2. Have Michigan LLCs with 1-10 proeprties in them, held by your holding company

    Not legal advice, just my personal and a popular strategy in the industry.

    We have a write up on LLCs we can share if you’d like.

    FIRE Realty Team - Keller Williams5379 Reviews
  • Professional · Canton, MI · Member since 2016 · 296 posts · 230 votes
    4y

    Someone who owned a Wyoming law firm must've done an excellent job marketing on BiggerPockets at some point. I have no idea why this comes up so often. You can set up a Michigan LLC such that people don't know who the members are. Not sure why anyone would set up an LLC in Wyoming only to form another one in Michigan when some entity has to hold the real estate at the end of the day and that entity is the one that's gonna get sued in Michigan courts.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.