Looking for a realtor to help me buy rental properties

4 Replies

I am looking for a realtor to help me buy rental properties. I don't have any investments YET besides my single family home we live in/own.  I would like to start investing to bring in more income monthly to eventually cover all my expenses. 

I live in the Bay Area... most expensive place in the universe... so I probably will not invest in this area. My question is - is it better to find a realtor who lives in the location you want to buy or just one who can help you find deals in any state/city even if they aren't from there?

@Leanna Mansour

You'll want to find someone in the location you're going to be buying in.. For example, I wouldn't have access to any info in SF or even northern Nevada.. Its very area specific.. Im part of many top realtor/agent networking groups, and can find you a top producing knowledgeable agent pretty much anywhere in the US.. PM me if you're interested in some assistance

Originally posted by @Leanna Mansour :

I am looking for a realtor to help me buy rental properties. I don't have any investments YET besides my single family home we live in/own.  I would like to start investing to bring in more income monthly to eventually cover all my expenses. 

I live in the Bay Area... most expensive place in the universe... so I probably will not invest in this area. My question is - is it better to find a realtor who lives in the location you want to buy or just one who can help you find deals in any state/city even if they aren't from there?

Leanna, it's always better to get an agent who lives in the area you want to buy in.

Real estate is LOCAL and sometimes,one area is an "A" area and 2 blocks away from it - it's a "D" area. You have to personally walk the streets where you intend to buy to assess its potential and have a feel of the place. Hence, a local real estate agent is a better choice.

Hey Leanna! 

Generally, an agent is licensed in the state they work in solely. I think it's best to work with a team that covers all the bases for you. There is so much talk of developing relationships with property managers, inspectors, lenders.. but if you start with a team that can introduce to people they've worked with for years, it takes all of that work out of it! 

I'm an investor and love helping new investors get started. My specialty is OKC, but a lot of my teams' expertise can apply anywhere. Reach out if you've got any questions!  Do you have lending in place? 

As most people have said, you definitely want to be working with an agent who does business in that area as they would have a ton of knowledge that would be specific to that local area. For instance I operate primarily in Santa Clara county and Alameda county. Santa Clara is what we call a seller pay county, meaning that it is customary for the seller to pay the title and escrow fees. Alameda is a buyer pay county. If I had a listing in Santa Clara county and received an offer from a buyer's agent who wrote in to the contract that the buyer would pay those fees, because that is customary in their local area, I would immediately know that this agent isn't familiar with my market and leverage that in my negotiations with them. Not to mention that I would be more than happy to allow them to pay my seller's fees as they so graciously offered. This is just one of many examples of what we see in the industry and why you wouldn't want to work with an agent who doesn't primarily do business in that area. If you would like to talk shop feel free to reach out to me and I would be happy to grab a cup of coffee. If you just want a recommendation for a realtor in another area, my company has a phenomenal relocation team that can connect you with an expert in that area. Good luck and happy investing!