Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
YuanYu Lin
Votes |
Feasibility of Investing in Real Estate While in Grad School.

YuanYu Lin
Posted Apr 17 2019, 14:57

Hi all, 

This is Johnson. I just got started with BiggerPockets (this is my first post!), and have read a few books on Real Estate Investing. I plan on investing in single family units or commercial properties in the North Carolina area (specifically Durham?) with a friend/partner based in LA.

However, there is one hurdle I feel like I have to get through and am hoping some of you might have advice about. I am currently a first year graduate student in UNC Chapel Hill, and am not sure how well I can balance investing and being a student at the same time. I have heard many in the podcasts say that you can still invest while having a full-time job, but I'd like to hear if anyone has had experience starting real estate investments while being a full-time student; and if so, what advice would you give to a newbie like me?

The next big challenge would be for me to start doing. I know it could be advantageous to have a partnership in starting out, but I guess trying to initiate myself into finding deals is something I've been struggling to do so far (probably because of school work but also because of fear). Should I start talking to real estate agents? Should I try to find ways to look for off-market properties? I'm just not really sure at the moment. 

Any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and I look forward to being more involved in the forums!

Best,

Johnson

Loading replies...