Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Craig Lind
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
Confusion on BRRRR and Refinancing

Craig Lind
  • Washington, DC
Posted

Hey all!

I need some clarification when it comes to Refinancing in the BRRRR model. The most recent BiggerPockets Podcast was on BRRRR and I've studied it a bit here and there. I intend on getting the BRRRR book as well to get more information.

I understand refinancing is a way of paying off the initial loan used to purchase and rehab a house thanks to the equity you get out. Now theoretically, the new refinanced loan should have better terms than the original loan.

So the basic walkthrough;

If I buy a home and it's valued at $100k with a down payment of 25%, I will need a loan for $75k. I put another $10k of my own money into the renovation and the end result is an ARV of $150k. I now have $35k invested with $75k loan and a $150k house.

I go to refinance and it does in fact appraise for $150k and I get a loan for 75% of that which is $112.5k. I use $75k of this to pay off the original loan and am left with $37.5k in my hand and a loan of $112.5k.

Now the reason this is so confusing to me is something that they never seem to mention in the podcast(s) and other people glaze over; is this new refinanced loan at that much better of an interest rate to make this a no brainer? I've been trying to rap my head around this but I keep getting confused at the fact I just ended up with a new larger loan than when I began. 

David Greene mentions on the podcast that these type of BRRRR rehabs are more closely associated with Private/Hard Money Investors because of the condition of the original property. These investors have a higher interest rate as I have heard before and he discusses. Thus, this would entice me to refinance, however would I need to shop around for the best possible option? Would I need to recalculate the feasibility of it and the resulting cash flow of the property for each one?

I am fairly new to this so thank you for all of your input ahead of time. Thanks!

Loading replies...